Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reading DVDs with Superdrive

Trying to watch a home video burned onto a DVD-R disc with Superdrive, my MacBook Pro is not recognizing the content on the disc -- disk utility says the disc is Uninitialized & all the action icons are greyed out. Commercial movie DVDs work but cannot get my Mac to recognize any DVD-R discs, even blank ones. What is the problem?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 9:43 AM

I would suspect that the software utilized to burn the home video did not create a properly formatted video file/disk. Since the commercially burned disks do work.

On the other hand, you indicate that even blank DVD-R disks aren't recognized - inserting a blank DVD-R should result in a pop up window asking you to provide label, after a few seconds delay. Note that commercial disks are made on DVD-R media so your computer is recognizing DVD-R's. If you can't work with blank DVD-R's, then your SuperDrive might be broken. Have you tried using the SuperDrive on another computer?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Salah1005

I would suspect that the software utilized to burn the home video did not create a properly formatted video file/disk. Since the commercially burned disks do work.

On the other hand, you indicate that even blank DVD-R disks aren't recognized - inserting a blank DVD-R should result in a pop up window asking you to provide label, after a few seconds delay. Note that commercial disks are made on DVD-R media so your computer is recognizing DVD-R's. If you can't work with blank DVD-R's, then your SuperDrive might be broken. Have you tried using the SuperDrive on another computer?

Reading DVDs with Superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.