Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac drive won't recognize blank dvd .. ejects it automatically after spinning for some time

Running macOS High Sierra ; mid 2011 desktop. Mac will read most DVD with content. Unreliable reading of CD with content that work fine on a neighbour's desktop.

Except for this CD/DVD drive, this has been a really reliable computer. I've not upgraded further as I have programs that I purchased that won't run on a higher system, and these programs have now gone to subscription which is not economically feasible for me.

I'm not particularly techie. I did run disk utility and everything was fine. Suggestions please?

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 12:54 PM

If it is still working after all of these years, it may just need a good cleaning with a dry lens cleaning disc.

cd/dvd cleaning disc

If the SuperDrive has given up, then you can get and use most any after-market USB CD/DVD Drive.

usb cd/dvd rom drive

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 16, 2022 1:08 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. Good suggestion to get a cleaning disk. I do live rural and we definitely get a lot of dust here.

I do have an external CD/DVD drive in storage, so will get it out and try that as well. I don't think this drive has 'given up' as it plays all my DVD, and is just fussy with some old photo CD. Maybe the cleaner will resolve that also.

iMac drive won't recognize blank dvd .. ejects it automatically after spinning for some time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.