Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player won't open or play movie when DVD inserted in USB Superdirve

I have an iMac updated to macOS Mojove 10.14.6 and a USB connected DVD Superdrive. When I put a DVD in, nothing happens. The DVD player doen't open and no movie plays. I can't eject the DVD by normal means. The computer acts like it is busy and nothing (like system preferences) can be opened. Unable to shut down except by the button on the back. The only way I can get the DVD out is to hold the eject button while the computer starts again. Then everything is retruned to normal. This happens repeatedly with burned and none burned DVDs. I bought a new Superdirve (delivered today) thinking it was a problem with my original Superdrive, but the same problem persists.

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 1:14 PM

go to > Insert CDs and DVDs into Mac - Apple Support

and follow the steps in the "Choose what happens when you insert a CD or DVD" section.

6 replies

Aug 1, 2019 6:27 PM in response to jonnywink

There is a known issue with external optical drives and macOS Mojave.

I know there is some sort of fix or firmware update for this, but my very old iMac cannot run Mojave, so I cannot tell you how, exactly, to fix this.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this optical drive issue and Mojave will see this thread post and offer some help.

I know there was a fix or workaround for this issue.

Hope this gets resolved for you.

DVD player won't open or play movie when DVD inserted in USB Superdirve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.