DVD won't insert into Big Sur

Hi. I own a Macbook MacOS Big Sur 11.7.2. I'm having issues where the DVD won't fit into the dvd player. It doesn't suck in when I put it in however I can still take out. Does anyone know why this is happening? Yes, I've made sure the DVD had no scratches and it wasn't dirty and I put it into another computer to check it was fine. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 6:52 PM

DaVonk wrote:

Hi. I unfortunately do not possess an Apple SuperDrive. I only have the built-in CD port in the macbook.

Then that SuperDrive—Apple used the same name for internal and external—is easily old enough to have failed. (However this Mac got to macOS 11 may well be a factor too, as MacBook Pro 13” Mid 2012 is the last MacBook Pro 13” model with an internal SuperDrive, and that Mac is not supported past macOS 10.15.) Try an external DVD drive. Most common USB-connected DVD drives will work with a Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 6:52 PM in response to DaVonk

DaVonk wrote:

Hi. I unfortunately do not possess an Apple SuperDrive. I only have the built-in CD port in the macbook.

Then that SuperDrive—Apple used the same name for internal and external—is easily old enough to have failed. (However this Mac got to macOS 11 may well be a factor too, as MacBook Pro 13” Mid 2012 is the last MacBook Pro 13” model with an internal SuperDrive, and that Mac is not supported past macOS 10.15.) Try an external DVD drive. Most common USB-connected DVD drives will work with a Mac.

May 19, 2023 3:58 PM in response to DaVonk

If this is the Apple SuperDrive, make sure you are using the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter, or some other analogous adapter that specifically supports SuperDrive.

A whole lot of the USB-C to USB-A adapters sold do not provide enough power, and do not support SuperDrive.

The Apple adapter does.

Also make sure the SuperDrive is oriented shiny side is up, and with the logo side is down.

DVD won't insert into Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.