Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen saver freezes mac + very high CPU usage

I'm on a late 2015 iMac with 10.14.6 (Mojave)/16GB Ram/3.1Ghz i5 and never had any problems with my screen saver (linked to an active corner) but now it slogs down my iMac: Starting the screen saver or even opening the screen saver menu freezes my mac for like 30-40 seconds.

I cleared the iMac cache and reset the NVRAM but no change - then I observed the activity monitor and it shows that any time the system is loading the screen saver, the application "ilife slideshow" jumps to 140% CPU usage and remains afterwards at 20%. It also uses 4.75GB virtual memory.

I'm not using any screen saver plugins or 3rd party software or any fancy options, just the classic screen saver with a default picture. I haven't made any changes to my my machine recently besides the latest security update from mid-July 2020.

Does anybody know the reason for this odd behavior and a solution?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 10:50 AM

I see the same thing. Here's how to tell Apple about it--they won't see your problem posted here

Go to this feedback link:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

When you fill out the form, select these pulldown options:

The feedback link is the only way to get this fixed, short of writing a snail-mail letter. Posting here gets us nowhere.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 10:50 AM in response to optokoax2

I see the same thing. Here's how to tell Apple about it--they won't see your problem posted here

Go to this feedback link:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

When you fill out the form, select these pulldown options:

The feedback link is the only way to get this fixed, short of writing a snail-mail letter. Posting here gets us nowhere.

Jul 18, 2020 11:33 AM in response to optokoax2

Hiya...

Yes, I am having the same issue across both iMac and MacBook Pro. The issue seems isolated to those screensavers that display photographs. At least for a temporary workaround, you might consider shifting to "Flurry," or one of the other other non-photo screensavers.

It's interesting that you found the "ilife slideshow" app behavior....Apple hasn't referred to its home software as iLife in years...someone definitely screwed something up. Very strange for a late "dot" release of last years MacOS.

Jul 18, 2020 6:05 PM in response to optokoax2

I'm having a similar experience with two newer MacBook Airs on 10.14.6. None of the screensavers involving photos work, regardless if they're my own or the ones Apple provides. System will completely freeze up for almost half a minute (even the clock's seconds freeze up). If I preview it, it's a black screen and takes several seconds to snap back after cancelling. I experience the same issue during Safe Boot, from separate user accounts and after trashing all Screensaver plists.

I believe the issue started yesterday after installing Security Update 2020-004.

Jul 22, 2020 12:11 PM in response to optokoax2

after a safe reboot it somehow seemed to improve after switching back normal boot.; but still when i go to preferences> screensaver it makes my whole computer unresponsive for a while if Sierras i activated; it loads very long and u cant do anything with teh cpmputer in the mean time;

For a day it worked better when sccreensaver activated automatically; the delay untill u can work was sometimes ok.

Jul 25, 2020 7:01 AM in response to optokoax2

iMac (2019), 10.14.6 - I had the same issue. I knew that the problem was Mojave Security Update 2020-004, because a bootable backup made before the update did not show the problem. After much troubleshooting, I reinstalled the operating system by booting up using Command-R. That reinstalled 10.14.4, which I then updated to 10.14.6. The reinstalled OS did not include Security Update 2020-004, and the screensaver now functions normally.

Sep 18, 2020 12:26 AM in response to ksuds49

UPDATE: Since the latest update to Safari 14 there seems to be an improvement, but i am not sure if this is randomly btw placebo-effect ;(wondering about what Safari got to do with the screensaver)

Waiting for the screensaver when activates takes about 15 seconds. But still not ok because during this time the computer cannot be used.. The process stalls everything for at least 15 seconds. Happens when just looking for the screen-saver-settings in preferences and when screensaver is activated scheduled or by hot corners.

Sep 25, 2020 10:53 AM in response to Alfi

That was the first thing I checked after applying Security Update 2020-005. No change. Attempting to select the Ken Burns effect screensaver or my preferred folder for a screensaver still freezes my computer for about a minute, and doesn't appear to successfully complete. I was wondering if maybe the screensaver app needed to be authorized within Security & Privacy's Full Disk Access, but I couldn't add it there.

Security Updates 2020-004 & 2020-005 also broke the ability of my MS Office 2019's AutoUpdate app to successfully apply updates to my Office apps.

Oct 5, 2020 12:15 AM in response to BDAqua

I just did the safe Boot again. then tried to load the sreensaver (Sierras, Landscapes) and it stalled the Computer for a short time (10 seconds)

but the window in preferences Screeensaver stayed black.

After reboot there seemed for me shorter loading time for the mentioned screensaver.

I am in good hope that the problem might be solved now.. just in the phase of testing, for i want to avoid a reinstall.

Screen saver freezes mac + very high CPU usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.