Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The fan runs almost constantly on my new MacBook Pro. Even when I have NO programs open.

I purchased a new 16" MacBook Pro recently. Since day one the fan runs almost consistently. Sometime slowing down and then speeding up to full speed even when I have no applications open. Is there a setting I can adjust or is this laptop defective?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Your computer is under warranty - I would take it in. In the meantime...

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest? How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode?

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Apps can affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 9:25 AM in response to dmisisco

Your computer is under warranty - I would take it in. In the meantime...

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest? How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode?

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.  You can post the report here. Someone might spot something.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Apps can affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

The fan runs almost constantly on my new MacBook Pro. Even when I have NO programs open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.