Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Photos ver 5.60 for Mac how to view photos taken in landscape to display in landscape?

In Photos ver 5.60 for Mac, the view shows all photos in portrait mode. I would like to have photos that were taken in landscape mode display that in landscape mode and photos taken in portrait mode display in portrait mode. Can someone help?.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 9:31 PM

I assume you mean Photos 5.0, the version shipped with Catalina and its updates, with different sub-versions denoted by suffixes. (For example, Photos on my Catalina 10.15.6 is "Version 5.0 (161.0.120)".)

Where do you see the effect you describe? In "All Photos" tab of "Photos", there is a small icon to choose between viewing photos square or in "full aspect ratio"; the latter shows portrait in portrait and landscape as landscape for me. The icon should appear near the upper left corner of the window, between the red-yellow-green circles and the size slider.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 9:31 PM in response to schackbo

I assume you mean Photos 5.0, the version shipped with Catalina and its updates, with different sub-versions denoted by suffixes. (For example, Photos on my Catalina 10.15.6 is "Version 5.0 (161.0.120)".)

Where do you see the effect you describe? In "All Photos" tab of "Photos", there is a small icon to choose between viewing photos square or in "full aspect ratio"; the latter shows portrait in portrait and landscape as landscape for me. The icon should appear near the upper left corner of the window, between the red-yellow-green circles and the size slider.

Jul 20, 2020 8:50 AM in response to markwmsn

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You are correct, I am on Version 5.0 161.0.120. Amazing that I never saw that button. Unfortunately, that did not solve my problem. However - the good news is I figured out what the problem is. I have a game camera in my backyard and never had this problem before with it. I tested downloading photos from multiple sources (camera, phone, etc.) and the only photos that are giving me grief are the photos from that game camera. It looks as if something changed in the game cam.

I can't thank you enough though for getting back to me. It was your response that made me go back to square one and figure this out. I really appreciate your help - and you taught me something new. Thanks again!

In Photos ver 5.60 for Mac how to view photos taken in landscape to display in landscape?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.