Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unlink my new MacBook from the old without a hard reset?

Hi, I bought new MacBook Pro today. I was able to use the migration assistant to transfer all of my files from my old MacBook. How can I unlink my old macbook from the new one so my husband can use the old one that already has his work files on it? His files all transferred over to the new MacBook (which I didn't really want) and if I delete something on one it deletes it on the other. How can we make it so that we can each independently work on our computers and not have it effect the other one. Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 8:42 PM

The best thing to do would be a full reset of the computer, to make it 'his' computer.

Selling old Mac (4) 

Does your husband have a separate user account on the old Mac that is logged into his Apple ID? If not, he needs to have a separate admin account and transfer his data to the new account.

Are you sharing an Apple ID?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 8:42 PM in response to Merry74

The best thing to do would be a full reset of the computer, to make it 'his' computer.

Selling old Mac (4) 

Does your husband have a separate user account on the old Mac that is logged into his Apple ID? If not, he needs to have a separate admin account and transfer his data to the new account.

Are you sharing an Apple ID?

How can I unlink my new MacBook from the old without a hard reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.