Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have transferred everything to my new lap top, now how do I remove the info from the old lap top and not the new

I have transferred everything to my new MacBook Pro, now how do I remove the info from the old Mac lap top and not the new. My plan is to give the old one to my grandchildren.

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:46 AM

14 replies

Dec 9, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Humboldt1972

Dec 8, 2021 11:40 AM in response to muguy

I’ve gone to the guide (thank you for sending the link to me), but I’m stuck at #6 (reset NVRAM). I can’t seem to get this one to work. The computer I am trying to clean is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014). I’m off iCloud and iMessages. Here’s what I have done: after shutting down the computer I have (a) held the Option, Command, R, & P as soon as I pressed the “on" button; (b) held the 4 keys after entering my password; and (c) held the 4 keys after the computer restarted. In all cases I held the keys for 20+ seconds. I have also gone to the “resetting NVRAM” link, but still can’t figure out what I an to do. Thanks for helping. Jim

Dec 31, 2021 9:58 AM in response to bobs-mac

The solid Apple is not in the Mac's ROM at cold-start. Seeing the solid Apple says your boot drive was able to load the fist "blob" of software, initiate it and continue. So your Mac Hardware is working and your boot drive is mostly functional.

The next hurdle requires many files by name, so your Mac attempts to Mount the drive File System. If damaged, it will proceed to a disk check. If the damage can not be repaired, your Mac has nowhere to go, so it shuts down.

Your Mac is working.

Your drive has directory damage that can not be simply repaired, but an Erase may make it good enough for a new Install from Recovery.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 8, 2021 11:40 AM in response to muguy

I’ve gone to the guide (thank you for sending the link to me), but I’m stuck at #6 (reset NVRAM). I can’t seem to get this one to work. The computer I am trying to clean is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014). I’m off iCloud and iMessages. Here’s what I have done: after shutting down the computer I have (a) held the Option, Command, R, & P as soon as I pressed the “on" button; (b) held the 4 keys after entering my password; and (c) held the 4 keys after the computer restarted. In all cases I held the keys for 20+ seconds. I have also gone to the “resetting NVRAM” link, but still can’t figure out what I an to do. Thanks for helping. Jim

Dec 31, 2021 12:06 PM in response to bobs-mac

If your old Mac is older than 2011 model, post back with its model-year for additional guidance.

If your old Mac was released after 2011, hold down Command-R at startup and this should get you to Recovery mode. This provides the Utilities, including Disk Utility, that used to be on the Installer DVD. With a good internet connection, you can try to erase the drive and install the factory-released MacOS.

Jan 1, 2022 11:03 AM in response to bobs-mac

It can take many minutes to complete loading using Internet Recovery. if it does not immediately generate an error message, try to be patient and see if it makes progress.

The advantage of Internet Recovery is that it uses more than 20 RAM disks to hold its temporary items, so your disk is available to be completely erased, removing everything.

Jan 2, 2022 11:46 AM in response to bobs-mac

On the OLD computer, you want to do two steps:

1) use Disk Utility ERASE everything. all your personally identifiable information, MacOS tagged with your Apple-ID, and your Paid Applications will be removed. However, that leaves the computer in very limited state.

2) unless you HATE the next recipient of the computer, it is considered polite to download and Install the originally-issued MacOS, which can also be done from Recovery. The originally-issued MacOS is tagged only with the serial number of the computer, and NOT your Apple-ID.

Once installed, you can try it out, but do NOT enter a new userid. At that point, quit Setup Assistant and Shut Down the machine, so that the next Owner can set it up for themselves. Do Not Install the latest version of MacOS, because all those versions are tagged with your Apple-ID.

I have transferred everything to my new lap top, now how do I remove the info from the old lap top and not the new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.