Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URGENT! NUMBERS in MAC

Dear All,

I have created one row with 9 numbers, please see below.

How do I sort these 9 numbers in ascending or descending order using NUMBERS in Mac?

Please note, I do not wish to sort rows by choosing a specific column. I want to sort the numbers in a specific row.

Kind regards,

George

854, 76, 98, 21, 2, 66, 52,8, 10

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 10:16 AM

The built-in sorting is by columns, not rows; it moves the rows around (sorts ascending or descending) but does not change the order of the columns. You can use a formula in another row that puts your numbers in sorted order but it will not sort your original row or the table.

If your numbers are in cells A1:I1 the formula in cell A2 would be =SMALL($A1:$I1,COLUMN())

Fill right with that formula to complete row 2 and it will have tour values in sorted order.

If you take a look at the descriptions of those functions (SMALL and COLUMN) you can find out how to modify the formula to fit your actual table.

=LARGE($A1:$I1,COLUMN()) will put them in the opposite order.

If you truly need the table sorted by your row of numbers, you can do it manually. Click on one of the column letters at the top of the column then click again and hold and drag the column to a new spot. Repeat this until the table is sorted.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 10:16 AM in response to georgios160

The built-in sorting is by columns, not rows; it moves the rows around (sorts ascending or descending) but does not change the order of the columns. You can use a formula in another row that puts your numbers in sorted order but it will not sort your original row or the table.

If your numbers are in cells A1:I1 the formula in cell A2 would be =SMALL($A1:$I1,COLUMN())

Fill right with that formula to complete row 2 and it will have tour values in sorted order.

If you take a look at the descriptions of those functions (SMALL and COLUMN) you can find out how to modify the formula to fit your actual table.

=LARGE($A1:$I1,COLUMN()) will put them in the opposite order.

If you truly need the table sorted by your row of numbers, you can do it manually. Click on one of the column letters at the top of the column then click again and hold and drag the column to a new spot. Repeat this until the table is sorted.

Jul 20, 2020 3:48 PM in response to georgios160

For sorting the numbers in one row, I'd use the SMALL or LARGE functions as suggested by Badunit.

To sort the table columns using the values in that row, you could try this:

Start with:

With the table selected, go to the Table menu and choose Transpose.

With this result:

Sort ascending on column B:

And Transpose again:

I adjusted the width of the columns after each transposition to reduce them for the image shots here, but that can be left to the final version without affecting the results.

Regards,

Barry

URGENT! NUMBERS in MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.