Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a guide to the color coded dots next to apps and filenames?

Hi. Prior to my current MBP (retina 2015) purchased 9 months ago, I had an iMac desktop from 08. So, I'm slowly become familiar with the Mac world, again. El Capitan to Catalina is a huge jump!

I see blue/green dots next to my app/file names. I learned the blue dot next to the app means the app was recently updated but not launched since the update... What does the blue dot next to the filename on my desktop mean? It's next to a Reason 11 file I created and have opened, but the blue dot is still there. Is there a guide to what these mean? are there more than just blue and green? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 1:03 PM

The one on that MenuBar item may be something different. The one on 1st attempt reason is this.

Finder

select a Finder Icon or group of Icons

On the Finder's file menu, look all the way to the last item on that menu. You will see that you can select any color dot shown, and it will be applied to the selection.

Use tags to organise files on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 1:03 PM in response to CarMelo Cherubin

The one on that MenuBar item may be something different. The one on 1st attempt reason is this.

Finder

select a Finder Icon or group of Icons

On the Finder's file menu, look all the way to the last item on that menu. You will see that you can select any color dot shown, and it will be applied to the selection.

Use tags to organise files on Mac - Apple Support

Is there a guide to the color coded dots next to apps and filenames?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.