Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG UltraFine Display's camera freezing on MBP 13 2020

Hi there!

I have a problem with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Everything works fine, but camera on LG UltraFine 5K Display works so bad, it sticking and freezing. And that problem have only MBP 13 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), i've tried another devices

I've also checked that display on MBP 13 2017 (Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and MBP 16 2019, and i hadn't have that problem. What's wrong with MBP 13 2020?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 10:24 AM

20 replies

Jul 23, 2020 11:45 AM in response to ilya223

Hello ilya223,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your question that the camera on your external monitor is not working as expected. We can certainly help you with this!

Given that you've isolated the issue to the one particular Mac, we've got some additional troubleshooting to help move forward.

First, let's start by resetting the SMC and NVRAM on your MacBook Pro.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If you're still seeing the same behavior from the LG UltraFine display camera, try using the built-in camera while the LG display is not connected.

Let us know what happens, and we'll go from there!

Cheers.

Jul 23, 2020 4:11 PM in response to chrisg_01

hi chrisg_01!

Thanks a lot for your answer

Yes i did reset SMC, PRAM and even reinstall OS

I have also checked another devices (the same configurations) and different monitors (same model)

This problem facing ONLY MBP 13 2020 with Intel 10th generation processors. There is no problem with MBP 15 (2016-2019), MBP 13 (2016-2019)

I think this is processor or driver problem. I thought about to try install macOS Big Sur beta but it has a lot of bugs for now

If you want i can record some videos to show you the problem and you will see

Thanks in advance!

Aug 7, 2020 8:28 AM in response to brenden dv

I have the same problem with a brand new UltraFine 5K Monitor (2020) and brand MacBook Air 13" (2020) running Catalina 10.15.6

There are other open posts about this issue... seems the 2020 MacBook Air/Pros are not working properly with the UltraFine 5K Monitor... laggy, slow, etc.

Anyway, just confirming another person with the same problem here...

Aug 28, 2020 1:45 AM in response to HolkhamStudios

Same problem here, but a different screen. Macbook Pro 13" (2020 with i7 / 4 ports) and Philips 439P9H screen, connected via USB3.2. The screen and built-in speakers are perfect. But, it has a built-in camera which freezes after the first 5-10m of a call (in MS Teams and Zoom). In Teams, the camera froze (still image) - in Zoom the image goes black. No fix but plugging in / out again.

Sep 28, 2020 8:57 AM in response to ilya223

I do have exactly the same problem on my new recently bought 2020 MacBook Pro. This issue in not with my 2019 from where I recently migrate. Nor with the 2018 that I have. I also using Catalina for this, my others are on monjavi. Can somebody at Apple look a this seriously please. It cannot be that we buy your top tier equipment and simply does not work!!

Oct 22, 2020 4:32 PM in response to ilya223

This is quite the issue. I own a 2020 Macbook Pro with the 5600m and Intel i9 2.3ghz. and the LG Ultrafine 5k 27inch.

Whenever I remove the laptop from the thunderbolt port, the next time I place it back, the camera does not work. Yeah, I did try the whole resetting SMC and NVRAM, plust the terminal thing. But this is apple we are talking about...

Can an update fix this?

Jan 11, 2021 5:51 AM in response to ilya223

Hi .. I tried to use Mac camera and it works well ... is the camera of LG monitor 5k that doesn’t work wit MacBookpro 2020 ... I have also a MacBookpro 2019 and it works well with LG monitor ... please escalate to development teams and fix problem with a Update of Mac OS

who tested the 2020 MBP ? Didn’t test it well

thanks in advance

Jan 12, 2021 10:06 AM in response to Fodde

Hello

It seems the problem is only when connected to LG monitor 5K with 2020Macbook Air. When using my older 2018 MacBook Pro there is no problem.

The 2020 MacBook Air on its own the camera wakes just fine.

This is unacceptable that Apple is doing nothing to fix this problem - I need to use the camera built into the LG monitor since my MacBook Air is connected to it most of the time.

Apple please do something about this.

Thank you.

Feb 8, 2021 2:01 PM in response to ilya223

My MacBook Pro (13-in, M1, 2020 with two Thunderbolt 3 ports) running with iOS Big Sur v. 11.2 and connected to a new LG UltraFine 5k (2020) monitor - the camera on the LG monitor doesn't work when running video using Zoom, Google Meeting, Slack or other...when I turn on the monitor camera, the green light comes on for up to 15 seconds, then turns off; meanwhile, other people tell me "your video is a black screen - can't see you". Currently I'm only able to use the FaceTime HD camera and not the one on the monitor....one of many reasons why I bought the LG monitor was for using the camera on the monitor so I'm looking at the audience and not off to the side (laptop vs. monitor). I like the LG resolution, ease of use and clarity but if there's no solution to fixing the camera too, this will be a quickly returned item. Apple support - please get this resolved or advise on how to solve using current configuration.

any solutions?

Feb 26, 2021 8:11 AM in response to ilya223

I am using a Macbook PRO (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB. I have the LG UltraFine 5K thunderbolt 3 display connected. And Video freezes for all video conferencing applications (Zoom, FaceTime etc). When I use an older MacBook pro from work video works fine with the same cables. There is some incompatibility with the new 2020 Macbook 13" and LG ultrafine display. It's a real pain. When I unplug the monitor with the same active video call video un-freezes. Audio is fine when pugged in. Everything else works fine.

Please fix. !

LG UltraFine Display's camera freezing on MBP 13 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.