Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to call a contact by typing the letters of their name?

Is there a way to call a contact by typing the letters of their name into the phone dialer keypad?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 10:52 AM

No. There is not.

What you can do is open a Spotlight search, start typing their name, then select their contact from the search results.

You can leave Apple feedback at https://apple.com/feedback.

This is a user forum. Apple is not here.

2 replies

Jul 20, 2020 10:35 AM in response to paulodog

I just re-posted this question to start a new dialogue about this issue. I just got an iphone after using an Android platform for many years and the one feature that's missing from the iphone is the ability to find a contact from the phone key pad. Many iphone users have replied to say "just start in the contacts field", which works, but the buttons are very small, so it trickier to type quickly and accurately. Being able to dial a contact straight from the phone key pad seems like a very easy solution that could be added to the iphone to increase the functionality. My two cents worth.

Is there a way to call a contact by typing the letters of their name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.