Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I store files on my iCloud and not on my Mac to save storage?

I currently have no space left on my Macbook, however I do have a large amount of iCloud storage available.

By the looks of it, all my files are synced. Therefore, whatever is stored on my Mac is also stored within my iCloud.... BUT, whenever I delete something within my 'documents' folder on my Mac, it is automatically deleted off my 'iCloud storage' as well..... How do I counteract this?

I only want my documents/files stored on my iCloud and not my Mac.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:23 AM

Apple does not offer cloud-only storage but you can turn on Optimize options in iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

For iCloud Photos, see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 11:23 AM in response to JendiKellyMoore

Apple does not offer cloud-only storage but you can turn on Optimize options in iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos. See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. If you want to free up more space on your Mac, follow these steps. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can search and browse files from all of your devices and download them only as you need them.

For iCloud Photos, see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

How do I store files on my iCloud and not on my Mac to save storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.