Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading to iCloud Drive

Hello,

I'm using Apple devices from like 15 years now. The only thing behind the Apple services is my cloud storage at other provider. Now - I would like to migrate my 700GB storage to iCloud Drive.

But I got a little problem.

To do that, I should have this 700GB on my MacBook and move it to the iCloud Drive folder.

I don't have so big hard drive in my MacBook.

I wanted to upload all the folders through www - but I can't move whole folders, only separate files.

That's not possible - because I got too many of folders to create them, and then move the files.

Is it possible to move folders somehow? Am I doing something wrong?

MacBook

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 1:30 PM

iCloud is a syncing service, not a storage service. Files that are synced to iCloud are also on your computer. You can't just upload files to iCloud and delete them from your computer. If you did that, they'd be deleted from iCloud as well.

If you have an existing storage service that works well for you, I'd suggest keeping it. Apple simply doesn't offer anything like that at present.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 1:30 PM in response to N33X0N

iCloud is a syncing service, not a storage service. Files that are synced to iCloud are also on your computer. You can't just upload files to iCloud and delete them from your computer. If you did that, they'd be deleted from iCloud as well.

If you have an existing storage service that works well for you, I'd suggest keeping it. Apple simply doesn't offer anything like that at present.

Jul 20, 2020 1:10 PM in response to N33X0N

N33X0N wrote:

I should have this 700GB on my MacBook and move it to the iCloud Drive folder.

If your files are already on your MacBook, just moving them to iCloud Drive won't use up extra space; it will just move from one part of your Mac to another.

That said, does that achieve your goal? e.g. It won't release the disk space as the files will remain on your Mac.

Jul 20, 2020 1:15 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The_Knowledge_Seeker wrote:

N33X0N wrote:

I should have this 700GB on my MacBook and move it to the iCloud Drive folder.
If your files are already on your MacBook, just moving them to iCloud Drive won't use up extra space; it will just move from one part of your Mac to another.

That said, does that achieve your goal? e.g. It won't release the disk space as the files will remain on your Mac.

The problem is I don't have that files on my Mac. My cloud storage is like an archive of things I worked on, but I don't synchronize it with my Mac. I just upload the thing I end working on to the cloud. Now I must download whole 700GB, and upload it to iCloud Drive.

The main question is, if I can do it through the www (like for example on Dropbox, Google Drive)?

Uploading to iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.