Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony Hi8 Handycam connection to MacBook Pro 2019

• I have an old Sony Handycam Model DCR-TRV120. It has the iLink (Firewire) connection port.
  • I have a 2019 Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt-3 ports.
  • I have iMovie and MacOS 10.15.6
  • I have many videos on the Hi8 cassettes that I would like to move to my MBP.

Does anyone know of any combination of cables and adapters that I can use to go from the iLink port on the Sony to my MBP and download the video using iMovie?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 12:50 AM

Have a look at the following link in which I describe the 3 cables required.You will need all 3 as you have the USB-c ports.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251304950

The link refers to importing mini DV but it is the same procedure for Digital 8, which is what your camcorder is. The procedure is the same for both iMovie and FCPX.

You describe you cam' as being Hi8 but it is actually a Digital8 camcorder, ( and probably using Hi8 tapes ??? )

For others reading this Digital 8 can record onto Hi8 tapes. Hi8 tapes being originally developed for analog recording but subsequently being used for digital recording on Digital8 camcorders. Hi8 tapes and Digital8 tapes are the same apart from the printing on the packaging.

Make note of my comments regarding importing DV/(Digital8) onto newer operating systems and newer Macs. If you have access to an older Mac with older OS then you may have more success.

Also consider using your QuickTime player to Record your video as mentioned in the link.Same cables required

It can be a bit of a gamble to invest $80 or so on these cables only to find that you can't import your video.

It works for some people but not all.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 12:50 AM in response to davidfromohio

Have a look at the following link in which I describe the 3 cables required.You will need all 3 as you have the USB-c ports.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251304950

The link refers to importing mini DV but it is the same procedure for Digital 8, which is what your camcorder is. The procedure is the same for both iMovie and FCPX.

You describe you cam' as being Hi8 but it is actually a Digital8 camcorder, ( and probably using Hi8 tapes ??? )

For others reading this Digital 8 can record onto Hi8 tapes. Hi8 tapes being originally developed for analog recording but subsequently being used for digital recording on Digital8 camcorders. Hi8 tapes and Digital8 tapes are the same apart from the printing on the packaging.

Make note of my comments regarding importing DV/(Digital8) onto newer operating systems and newer Macs. If you have access to an older Mac with older OS then you may have more success.

Also consider using your QuickTime player to Record your video as mentioned in the link.Same cables required

It can be a bit of a gamble to invest $80 or so on these cables only to find that you can't import your video.

It works for some people but not all.

Jul 21, 2020 10:47 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks for your quick response. And thanks for the terminology clarification on Hi8 vs Digital8.

I have the same cable/adapter string you described, except that I used a non-Apple Thunderbolt-2 to Thunderbolt-3 adapter, from Keezing. I got that instead of the Apple one because it was cheaper. I just ordered the Apple one.

I had no luck using the string with the Keezing adapter. If the Apple adapter gets the signal from the camera to the Mac, I'll work the software issues. If the software won't work, I'll go get my 2011 MBP I gave to a friend because I didn't think I'd ever use it after I got my 2019 MBP. I should know better: every time I decide I don't need something (parts, fasteners, old motorcycle parts) and get rid of it, I need it two weeks later.

Thanks again, and I'll report results when I try your suggestions.

Sony Hi8 Handycam connection to MacBook Pro 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.