Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro early 2011 won’t restart using the usual forced reboot keys

The screen went black on my early 2011 MacBook Pro without warning. Has happened before but could restart by pressing ‘Enter’ and sign-in screen would appear. This has happened fairly often since I made the mistake to upgrade to 32 bit OS. This time, the keyboard lights were on but went out when I pressed Enter, and the light at the front right came on and stayed on (usually varying brightness while the machine is asleep}. Pressed the power button to force shutdown, which worked. However, on any form of restart try, no startup sound, screen stays black, and the light at the front right comes on and stays on. Hard drive is running but nothing else happens. Tried Shift-Ctrl-Option Power, same result. Tried Command-Option-P-R Power same result. Tried Command-Carl-Power same result.

Have an external HD Time Machine, could not get any reaction via Command-D-Power. Don’t have a Startup DVD.

HELP!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 11:23 PM

Found the solution FWIW. Did (another) forced shutdown by holding down the power button. Then, held down the Option key while pressing the power button and Voila!! came the startup sound and a “select startup device panel” appeared with my HD and my Time Machine as choices. Clicked on the HD and it started up normally.

It appears that something went wrong with the sleep app and the OS went into limbo, not knowing what startup device to use, so it just reverted to black screen with the HD running and nothing happening. The Option-Power is a forced start going to the select startup device panel and once the HD was selected it went happily back to work.

Hope this will help someone else . . . Since I got ZERO response from the group . . .

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Pastimes35

Found the solution FWIW. Did (another) forced shutdown by holding down the power button. Then, held down the Option key while pressing the power button and Voila!! came the startup sound and a “select startup device panel” appeared with my HD and my Time Machine as choices. Clicked on the HD and it started up normally.

It appears that something went wrong with the sleep app and the OS went into limbo, not knowing what startup device to use, so it just reverted to black screen with the HD running and nothing happening. The Option-Power is a forced start going to the select startup device panel and once the HD was selected it went happily back to work.

Hope this will help someone else . . . Since I got ZERO response from the group . . .

macbook pro early 2011 won’t restart using the usual forced reboot keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.