Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i convert my iphone 11 back to touchid or do i have to use faceid?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 1:05 PM

The iPhone 11 does not support Touch ID. I have used both Touch ID and Face ID and I would never want to go back to Touch ID. If you are having a problem with Face ID or if there is something about it you don't like, you may want to post more information to see if someone here can help make it work better for you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 1:05 PM in response to ajlinna

The iPhone 11 does not support Touch ID. I have used both Touch ID and Face ID and I would never want to go back to Touch ID. If you are having a problem with Face ID or if there is something about it you don't like, you may want to post more information to see if someone here can help make it work better for you.

Jul 22, 2020 8:13 AM in response to ajlinna

ajlinna wrote:

I don’t like my face getting captured every time I use this. How can this not be an invasion of privacy? Where does this data go?!

See the following from About Face ID advanced technology - Apple Support

Privacy is incredibly important to Apple. Face ID data - including mathematical representations of your face - is encrypted and protected by the Secure Enclave. This data will be refined and updated as you use Face ID to improve your experience, including when you successfully authenticate. Face ID will also update this data when it detects a close match but a passcode is subsequently entered to unlock the device. Face ID data doesn’t leave your device and is never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else.

If you choose to enroll in Face ID, you can control how it's used or disable it at any time. For example, if you don’t want to use Face ID to unlock your device, open Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Use Face ID, and disable iPhone Unlock or iPad Unlock. To disable Face ID, open Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and tap Reset Face ID. Doing so will delete Face ID data, including mathematical representations of your face, from your device. If you choose to erase or reset your device using Find My iPhone or erasing all content and settings, all Face ID data will be deleted.

Even if you don’t enroll in Face ID, the TrueDepth camera intelligently activates to support attention aware features, like dimming the display if you aren't looking at your device or lowering the volume of alerts if you're looking at your device. For example, when using Safari, your device checks to determine if you're looking at your device and turns the screen off if you aren’t. If you don’t want to use these features, you can open Settings > Face ID & Passcode and disable Attention Aware Features.

Within supported apps, you can enable Face ID for authentication. Apps are only notified as to whether the authentication is successful. Apps can’t access Face ID data associated with the enrolled face.

Jul 21, 2020 8:00 PM in response to ajlinna

Your iPhone 11 cannot be converted to Touch ID. iPhone 11 was designed to work with Face ID, and physically, the hardware has nowhere for Touch ID to fit.

I understand your concern for privacy. Many, if not all of us are concerned about maintaining our privacy in this modern world of ours. As far as I know, Apple is the only large tech company that publicly speaks out about privacy and its importance as much as they do.

If I remember correctly, Face ID and its corresponding data (i.e. your face "getting captured') are kept on a secure chip in your iPhone 11 itself, and is never transmitted/never leaves your phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.