Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail text is too small

sometimes when i open my mac mail i get a message where the text is too small on my laptop or desktop.

on the iphone i am pretty sure i can go horizontal view and zoom in by touch?

what do i do on the COMPUTER?

i went to WINDOW > ZOOM but this seems to just enlarge the window.

i think if i recall i sometime REPLY and then select the text and then change the size of the text. but this is kind of ridiculous.

THANKS

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 1:00 PM

7 replies

Jul 21, 2020 6:41 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels22 Said:

"mail text is too small: [...]this is a very weird issue! i have an email in today i am looking at. impossibly tiny font[...]"

-------

Important: Do your part. Report this to Apple:

Copy-&-Paste what need be of this post's replies. The more Apple knows what’s going on, the more Apple’s engineers with know how it affects their customers, and what to fix in upcoming updates. So, be sure to...

Report this as a Bug to Apple:

1. Feedback - Mail - Apple
  2. Select: “Bug Report” for the “Feedback Type
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

Jul 21, 2020 3:27 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels22 Said:

"mail text is too small: sometimes when i open my mac mail i get a message where the text is too small on my laptop or desktop. on the iphone i am pretty sure i can go horizontal view and zoom in by touch? what do i do on the COMPUTER?[...]"

-------

Just Zoom in:

If it is too small, then you can always just zoom in.

Open a Message and then perform the following:

On your Mac use COMMAND + "=" to zoom in.

Try it Right Now, while viewing this post.

Jul 21, 2020 2:35 PM in response to hotwheels22

• Click the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen, select System Preferences, then click the Accessibility icon.
  • On the next screen, click “Zoom” in the left column to see all your zoom options—and yes, there are a bunch.
  • Want to use the keyboard to zoom your screen? Click “Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom,” then start zooming by pressing COMMAND + OPTION + 8. To zoom in, press COMMAND + OPTION + “=” (equal sign), or zoom out by pressing COMMAND + OPTION + “-” (minus sign). To turn zooming off, press COMMAND + OPTION + 8 again.
  • You can also use the trackpad to zoom the screen. Check the box marked “Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom,” then scroll on the trackpad while pressing one of three keys: CONTROL, OPTION, or COMMAND. (Choose which key you want to use from the pull-down menu.)
  • Besides zooming the entire display, you can also turn the cursor into a magnifying glass. To do so, click the menu labeled “Zoom Style” and choose “Picture-in-picture.”
  • Last but not least, you can customize almost every aspect of how zooming behaves by clicking the “More Options” button. For example, in “Picture-in-picture” mode, you can set the degree of magnification, choose whether the magnification frame follows your mouse or stays put, or have your Mac speak aloud any magnified words after a short delay. In “Fullscreen” mode, you can set the maximum and minimum zoom, as well as determine whether the zoomed-in screen moves as you move the cursor.

https://heresthethingblog.com/2014/02/24/mac-tip-zoom-entire-display/#:~:text=To%20zoom%20in%2C%20press%20COMMAND,trackpad%20to%20zoom%20the%20screen.

Jul 21, 2020 6:23 PM in response to TheLittles

gents! this is a very weird issue! i have an email in today i am looking at. impossibly tiny font. i have others that look this way as well i see. impossibly tiny.

then i respond and it is MUCH LARGER and also i see when selecting the font in the reply it is 13 pt.

what is it in mail that is causing 13 pt to read impossibly small on incoming mail??

black is incoming and like 8 pt font. blue is a reply with the same text and it looks like 12 point and MAIL shows it as being 13 point.

thoughts?

Jul 21, 2020 2:43 PM in response to BDAqua

thanks man. so one question as a follow up is all those solutions seem like - well sort of workarounds.

is there a good reason why some emails come in as like 6 point font or something? or is there a way for me to find out what is going on? on this last one it was like 8 point font and then when i reply to it it goes to 10 point or 12 point and i can see it if i hit reply.

almost seems like a bug.

Jul 21, 2020 6:16 PM in response to TheLittles

oh man. that's very good. glad i asked.

THANKS gents!

this is presumably happening based upon them setting their font very small? i have noticed this occurring previously and in some cases it shows up in mail so hopelessly small it seems impossible someone would set their settings that small. and now that i think about it it has ALSO happened to just one email from a person i get email from frequently...

mail text is too small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.