Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint not working on HP Printer

Hi There

This is my setup:

• MFP M277dw
  • 2019 MacBook Pro, running 10.15.6
  • 2019 MacBook Air running 10.15.6
  • 2017 MacBook Air running 10.15.6
  • 2012 MacBook Air running 10.15.6
  • 2011 iMac running 10.13.6
  • an iPhone X running 13.5.1
  • a ubiquiti Unifi network
  • All devices are connected to the same wireless network SSID

This is the current situation:

• The 2019 and the 2017  DO NOT print using Airprint
  • both the 2011 iMac and the 2012 Air DO print over Airprint
  • The iPhone DOES print over Airprint 

I can see a number of posts relating this topic, and have already done the basic checks and processes -ie:

• The fact that some work confirms the notion that my network supports Bonjour.
  • The HP Smart App on the 2019 Pro allows me to see configuration and supply levels. It also allows me to trigger the scan. This shows there is a connection between the laptop and the printer
  • I have followed instructions on unplugging printers, and resetting the printer setting in MacOS. both of these have proven fruitless

I cant see any of the previous posts having a solved outcome. Hoping someone can help.

MacBook

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 9:07 PM

Apologies for pointing out the obvious, but since you did not explicitly say so, restart your router also. That's just as fundamental as restarting the printers and everything else. Restart / reset all its components. I confess that I am not familiar with "ubiquiti Unifi", but there shouldn't be anything about it that would prevent some Macs from working while others do.

Make absolutely positively certain that the 2017 and 2019 Macs are using AirPrint. Their print queues should appear to be completely identical to the ones that are working. I realize this is more obiviousness, but AirPrint should simply work without any difficulty at all.

If nothing helps try removing / uninstalling whatever software HP provided. Not only has HP's Mac support always been abysmal, Apple explicitly states not to install any drivers or software that came with the printer or from the manufacturer’s website.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 9:07 PM in response to 00.00.00.00

Apologies for pointing out the obvious, but since you did not explicitly say so, restart your router also. That's just as fundamental as restarting the printers and everything else. Restart / reset all its components. I confess that I am not familiar with "ubiquiti Unifi", but there shouldn't be anything about it that would prevent some Macs from working while others do.

Make absolutely positively certain that the 2017 and 2019 Macs are using AirPrint. Their print queues should appear to be completely identical to the ones that are working. I realize this is more obiviousness, but AirPrint should simply work without any difficulty at all.

If nothing helps try removing / uninstalling whatever software HP provided. Not only has HP's Mac support always been abysmal, Apple explicitly states not to install any drivers or software that came with the printer or from the manufacturer’s website.

Jul 22, 2020 4:44 PM in response to 00.00.00.00

With little else to go on, I suggest experimenting with the Unifi network settings. In particular I found this Reddit thread that suggests it is necessary to disable its "automatic performance" setting, which allegedly blocks multicast DNS. I don't have any way of verifying that but if mDNS is blocked that could explain things.

It doesn't explain why some devices work while others don't though.

AirPrint not working on HP Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.