Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay: Off - no option to turn on

Hi all,

I think similar questions have been asked in the past to no answer.

I have a Macbook Air 2015 running Sierra 10.12.6 using a 2019 LG TV with AirPlay.

My partner's Macbook Pro 2020 works fine with AirPlay and the TV.

When I try and connect via my airplay icon (top right) there is no option to turn on airplay. The firewall is not blocking it. I have updated all software. The TV is not asleep.

Please let me know what you think.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 12:49 AM

Hi there,

Apple has a support article for troubleshooting AirPlay here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204291

Based on what you've said, you might be interested in checking out step 4 of the article.

4 replies

Jul 22, 2020 9:52 AM in response to chris_lewinski

chris_lewinski:

I'm not sure about the 2019 LG TV with AirPlay, but from the Macbook Air 2015 running Sierra 10.12.6, for which you are showing the Display preference, AirPlay will only allow you to choose devices using the same Apple ID as the logged-in User.

(I just checked that with my Mac mini:

• Logged in as Me, I only have my iPad to choose from.
  • Logged in as my wife, we only have her iPad to choose from.)

Jul 22, 2020 9:36 AM in response to chris_lewinski

I’ve found that AirPlay had been turned off in Settings on my Apple TV box, resulting in a similar unavailability. Turning it on again fixed that.

Another thing to check is the Wi-Fi network itself: If you use two SSIDs (for e.g. the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band) on your router/access point, then you are effectively creating two separate segments that cannot communicate with each other. It is best to bridge all bands (and wired) into one logical network, and let the devices make their own best choice for access, as the protocols intended.

Airplay: Off - no option to turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.