Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay turned off

Hi so I just got a new MacbookPro Big Sur version 11.5.2. The airplay is turned off with no option to turn on. I've checked the firewall is turned off. I do not know how to check the compatibility of the apple TV as its a little box and no user interface if my computer doesn't connect. What am I missing?

Is there no option to turn on Airplay because there is no device connected? Why can I not connect? How can I troubleshoot this?

I have looked at previous threads. Lots of people with this issue - no solutions, best answer was it was a bug and they hoped to work it out and that was years ago.

Whats up with this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 11:30 AM

There is no turning on or off, because the Airplay options become available when there is a compatible device in the same network.

To give more adequate help, we need more information: what Airplay device do you have?

• an Apple TV?
  • A third party smart TV with Airplay 2 support?
  • Some Airplay speakers?

Make sure that all the devices are connected to the same Wifi network.

Also, in System Preferences->Displays, make sure that “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available” 

is selected.

Then whenever the other device is connected to the same Wifi you should be able to choose it from the menu bar:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 11:30 AM in response to SamiDaesyn

There is no turning on or off, because the Airplay options become available when there is a compatible device in the same network.

To give more adequate help, we need more information: what Airplay device do you have?

• an Apple TV?
  • A third party smart TV with Airplay 2 support?
  • Some Airplay speakers?

Make sure that all the devices are connected to the same Wifi network.

Also, in System Preferences->Displays, make sure that “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available” 

is selected.

Then whenever the other device is connected to the same Wifi you should be able to choose it from the menu bar:

Airplay turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.