Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I factory reset my old iMac?

I have an old iMac G5, probably dating back to about 2004. Before disposing of it, I would like to perform a full reset in order to wipe the hard drive. I have tried various combinations of Command + R to open in recovery mode, but that doesn't work; it just reboots in normal mode. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 1:35 PM

You may well find a market for the case. Lot's of people out there that like to build their own computers that run Apple's OS. Many like the idea of modifying an old G5 case because it looks like the early Mac Pros. You may find ads on eBay or Amazon (and, elsewhere) selling the case, innards and all. I don't know the going price but probably more than the computer is worth.

Yes, they are pretty easy to remove. Just some screws and cables to unplug. The drives aren't worth much. Not many people use drives that old due to interface problems. But if you could wipe them, then you might try selling them on eBay. I don't know how inclined you are to doing that sort of stuff.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2020 1:35 PM in response to croydonian20

You may well find a market for the case. Lot's of people out there that like to build their own computers that run Apple's OS. Many like the idea of modifying an old G5 case because it looks like the early Mac Pros. You may find ads on eBay or Amazon (and, elsewhere) selling the case, innards and all. I don't know the going price but probably more than the computer is worth.

Yes, they are pretty easy to remove. Just some screws and cables to unplug. The drives aren't worth much. Not many people use drives that old due to interface problems. But if you could wipe them, then you might try selling them on eBay. I don't know how inclined you are to doing that sort of stuff.

Jul 22, 2020 12:09 PM in response to croydonian20

If you have a true G5 iMac, then it came with a set of Software Restore CDs. You need them in order to wipe the drive and reinstall OS X. However, if you are disposing of the computer, then I suggest removing the drive(s), first. Take the computer to a proper recycling facility.

Get a heavy hammer and use it to completely bust up the drive(s). Dispose of them, properly.

How do I factory reset my old iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.