Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Photos out of Main Folder

I am trying to organize my photos into albums. When I drag a photo into the album, it seems to copy the photo rather than moving it. Is there a way to actually remove it from the "main" folder so that it only shows in the album?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 12:14 AM

No.

What you call the 'Main Folder' is the Library. Photos works like iTunes, In iTunes every track Is in the Library, and each playlist contains a link to the file in the library. There is no duplication or copying involved. So, every photo is in the Library and every album contains links to the images in the library: no copying or duplication involved.

This means you can have a photo in many albums, but use no extra disk space.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 12:14 AM in response to BeWitchin

No.

What you call the 'Main Folder' is the Library. Photos works like iTunes, In iTunes every track Is in the Library, and each playlist contains a link to the file in the library. There is no duplication or copying involved. So, every photo is in the Library and every album contains links to the images in the library: no copying or duplication involved.

This means you can have a photo in many albums, but use no extra disk space.

Moving Photos out of Main Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.