Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer storing photos on iCloud

Hi All, I'm not very iPhone tech savvy. I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus which some of the photos of my phone are stored on the phone (256gb) and some on iCloud. I have just bought the iPhone 11. I want to do my back up and transfer everything over to the new phone. How do I stop storing the photos on my phone on iCloud? If I turn off iCloud will it delete my photo's stored through iCloud? Or will all my photo's still be on my phone and then I can do a computer back-up before transferring to the new phone?

Thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 12:39 PM

"I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus which some of the photos of my phone are stored on the phone (256gb) and some on iCloud."

If you are using iCloud to store your photos, then all of your photos are stored in iCloud and also on the device as well. That's how iCloud works.

How do I stop storing the photos on my phone on iCloud?

You cannot when using iCloud. iCloud works by storing your data in the cloud whilst also storing a smaller footprint of the data on your device.

If I turn off iCloud will it delete my photo's stored through iCloud?

Yes.

Or will all my photo's still be on my phone and then I can do a computer back-up before transferring to the new phone?

No, it'll be both on the device and in iCloud (see what I said above).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 12:39 PM in response to vintage_84

"I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus which some of the photos of my phone are stored on the phone (256gb) and some on iCloud."

If you are using iCloud to store your photos, then all of your photos are stored in iCloud and also on the device as well. That's how iCloud works.

How do I stop storing the photos on my phone on iCloud?

You cannot when using iCloud. iCloud works by storing your data in the cloud whilst also storing a smaller footprint of the data on your device.

If I turn off iCloud will it delete my photo's stored through iCloud?

Yes.

Or will all my photo's still be on my phone and then I can do a computer back-up before transferring to the new phone?

No, it'll be both on the device and in iCloud (see what I said above).

No longer storing photos on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.