Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MacBook Pro running Catalina crashes

Three weeks ago I migrated my mid2012 macbook pro data onto my new mac. I suspect that brought with it something that doesn't update. I can't isolate it. If no one on the forum has good ideas my next step is to reset to factory default and start over. I will post a few of the crash reports. The machine freezes about every 55minutes then after two minutes it shuts down. I can start up in safe mode and it doesn't crash (good news, right?). I have removed all adobe apps, all avast, and a few other older apps no longer updated. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 4:05 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 26, 2020 6:26 PM in response to kspoe

Hello kspoe and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It appears you are dealing with a new iMac that is periodically crashing and that the iMac was set up using a backup created on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

The fact that you are able to start up in safe mode after a crash could point to an issue with a login item. (The fact that it takes so long to happen makes this a little unlikely but this next step is still a good starting point.)

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac - Apple Support

Start by removing all login items, rebooting and then testing.

If the crashing resumes, some users who have seen the same reference to the watchdog process in crash reports have reported that reinstalling macOS is effective.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Cheers.

2019 MacBook Pro running Catalina crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.