Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Totally vanished desktop! What happened??? HELP!

Today I started my new mac mini that's just had the latest software update - and discover my entire desktop is cleared away and vanished!

What's up with that?

What do I do to get it back??? Thanks for any help... this has never happened to me in 20 years of computer work...

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 8:48 AM

So what's the best way to restore data from the iCloud backup?

Do I just drag the whole iCloud file list over to my desktop?

I notice that the Documents data from my mac mini is also missing - but it's still in the iCloud.

I hope someone at Apple is looking into this, since I didn't do anything this morning except open Chrome... and suddenly the whole desktop of my mac mini is missing!

My 2020 mac mini is still under warranty... so maybe I'll start the process of asking an official Apple person if they can help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 8:48 AM in response to John Nez

So what's the best way to restore data from the iCloud backup?

Do I just drag the whole iCloud file list over to my desktop?

I notice that the Documents data from my mac mini is also missing - but it's still in the iCloud.

I hope someone at Apple is looking into this, since I didn't do anything this morning except open Chrome... and suddenly the whole desktop of my mac mini is missing!

My 2020 mac mini is still under warranty... so maybe I'll start the process of asking an official Apple person if they can help.

Jul 23, 2020 8:03 AM in response to John Nez

I see that the data is all on the iCloud drive and I can see it from my iPad there... but it's not on my mac mini desktop!

I didn't do anything this morning except log into my Chrome browser - but then when I looked up I saw my whole desktop and the data all missing from the desktop!!!

I tried rebooting... with no change. The desktop is still empty...

Jul 23, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Cheetaux

The Desktop icon opens up to show all the contents - so the data is all there - it's just that all the icons have vanished from the desktop.

Should I just drag them over to the desktop to restore them? Or is there some simpler way to do it... it's all mysterious.

I see very few comments on the Apple forum on the subject. I'm not sure how many things to drag to the desktop... since there are all kinds of folders - Application - Library - Users - System, etc. I see the desktop item only shows the one screenshot I took.

Frustrating!

Jul 23, 2020 9:45 AM in response to John Nez

Okay - just got off the phone with the Apple tech help - and the problem got fixed.

I had to go into Preferences - and then into Apple ID - then iCloud drive - then Options - where for some reason the show Desktop was unclicked.

I never unclicked anything myself... so I have no idea why this happened. But if it happens to anyone else - give this a try to fix it!

Thanks!

Totally vanished desktop! What happened??? HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.