Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not rendering images in Canvas Learning Management System

When I use Canvas, very often embedded images do not render. They look like this:

When they should look like this:

In Chrome, there's no problem. The images render just fine.

The problem is that many of my students use Safari (and are using the latest version of Safari).

The folks at Canvas said to disable the "Prevent cross-site tracking" preference (Privacy). And then clear the Safari Cache.

This works...but you have to clear the cache constantly...and that's a pain.

The weird part—I'm having this issue using an Apple-created Canvas Commons course. But I've seen it happen in other Canvas courses that I've been part of.

Anyone know how to get Safari (13.1.2) to play nice with Canvas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 11:11 AM

Hello Hicksie,

It sounds like you are having an issue with images through Canvas Commons while using Safari. It appears Canvas Support is actively working on this issue.

"Safari 13.1 contains an update that may cause issues with downloading files, chat alerts, and displaying images in Canvas. Canvas engineers are currently working on a solution for this issue. Until then, you can avoid errors with files and images by disabling cross-site tracking prevention in Safari when using Canvas."

What are the browser and computer requirements for Canvas?

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 11:11 AM in response to Hicksie

Hello Hicksie,

It sounds like you are having an issue with images through Canvas Commons while using Safari. It appears Canvas Support is actively working on this issue.

"Safari 13.1 contains an update that may cause issues with downloading files, chat alerts, and displaying images in Canvas. Canvas engineers are currently working on a solution for this issue. Until then, you can avoid errors with files and images by disabling cross-site tracking prevention in Safari when using Canvas."

What are the browser and computer requirements for Canvas?

Cheers!

Jul 28, 2020 5:46 AM in response to sterling r

Thanks for letting me know that Canvas posted that note. I'm glad a solution is being devised (or worked on).

The disabling cross-site tracking prevention didn't do the trick for me. Even with that disabled I still had to clear Safari's cache every time a new Canvas page loaded (and that wasn't a feasible option). So, currently, I'm using Chrome whenever I have to work in Canvas.

Safari not rendering images in Canvas Learning Management System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.