Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending a network

I have a Netgear (R6700) - AC1750 Nighthawk router as my primary WiFi router and I am attempting to set up an Airport Extreme router as a network extension. The two are connected via ethernet cable, as they are about 200' apart, in separate buildings.

In Airport Utility, the AP Extreme is found and configured to "Join" the existing network. All works good when doing this in the house where the Netgear router is (and I suspect the two devices are communicating wirelessly even though I have them connected via ethernet cable) but when I move the AP Extreme to the new location 200' away it is out of wireless range. Even though I connected the two by 200' cable, it's not working.

I then tried to "Extend" the existing network in Airport Utility. Again, doing this in the house much closer to the Netgear router and connecting the two via cable. Airport Utility then flashes the amber light and also displays a Red dot with a number 1 in it. I'm not sure what the Red number 1 indicates... I've never seen this before.

A while ago, I have successfully set up two older AP Express routers to "Join" the network and they work fine. They are both connected wirelessly and within range of the Netgear router. I'm perplexed. I welcome some insight from knowledgeable experience. Thank you in advance.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 8:31 AM

You did not mention that you had an AirPort Express in the mix, so we took the information that you provided at face value.

By default, AirPort Utility always assumes that you want to connect a new AirPort device to another existing AirPort device on your network, so you have to work around that default option......because that is not what you are trying to accomplish in your case.

Power off the AirPort Express for now, then start over again where the text above begins with "Start over again". The setup should closely follow the instructions that I have posted for you above. Note that another user posted to confirm that this setup worked fine for him.

When the AirPort Extreme is set up correctly......then.....you can power the AirPort Express up again.

You will have to tell us whether or not your Netgear router uses the same wireless network name for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, or whether it uses separate names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network, since there may be a few tweaks needed after the basic setup.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 8:31 AM in response to solarspirit

You did not mention that you had an AirPort Express in the mix, so we took the information that you provided at face value.

By default, AirPort Utility always assumes that you want to connect a new AirPort device to another existing AirPort device on your network, so you have to work around that default option......because that is not what you are trying to accomplish in your case.

Power off the AirPort Express for now, then start over again where the text above begins with "Start over again". The setup should closely follow the instructions that I have posted for you above. Note that another user posted to confirm that this setup worked fine for him.

When the AirPort Extreme is set up correctly......then.....you can power the AirPort Express up again.

You will have to tell us whether or not your Netgear router uses the same wireless network name for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, or whether it uses separate names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network, since there may be a few tweaks needed after the basic setup.

Jul 24, 2020 7:21 AM in response to solarspirit

In Airport Utility, the AP Extreme is found and configured to "Join" the existing network

Wrong setting. "Join" is used only for a wireless connection.

I then tried to "Extend" the existing network in Airport Utility

Wrong setting. "Extend" is used on to wirelessly extend the signal from another Apple AirPort router.

Start over, power up the AirPort Extreme and then hold in the reset button for 7-8 seconds. Release and allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow blinking amber light status.

Verify that an Ethernet cable connects from one of the 4 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Netgear router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Extreme just below that listing

That will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analze the setup and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see an AirPort Extreme pictured. Note that the wizard has automatically chosen the correct setting for the AirPort to "create a wireless network".

Network Name.......Type in the exact same name that the Netgear WiFi is using

Base Station Name.....Type in a short simple device name for the AirPort Extreme

Password.......Type in the same password that the Netgear WiFi is using

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and the "wizard" will set up the AirPort Extreme the way that you want. You don't have to worry about things like "Bridge Mode" or other jargon. The wizard will automatically apply the correct settings for the AirPort.

If the Netgear router uses separate names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network, you have a few more clicks to go to get things tweaked. Post back if you need more help with this.

Jul 24, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob, for your quick response. I followed your tips and came up with the following choice in the Airport Utility:

The "Office" is an Airport Express for using Airplay to a stereo. I don't want to connect to it, but rather to the Netgear router via ethernet cable. If I select "Other Options", I am presented with these choices:

Should I "Add to an existing network"? Still perplexing but your guidance is succinct. Thanks.

Extending a network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.