Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 4 Watch: How do you eject water/ unlock the watch IF the digital crown is not working/ responding as it should?

Question: How do you eject water/ unlock the watch IF the digital crown is not working/ responding as it should?

My watch is currently in locked mode and I would like to eject the water and unlock the watch as I usually do after working out. However, because my digital crown randomly stopped responding to my normal previous actions (ie spinning the crown to unlock the watch, spinning the crown to change the alarm I want to set etc, in addition to pinching/ pressing into the watch to get out of the screen I am viewing etc) I am now unable to eject water, unlock OR reset my Apple Watch.

I have also spent a few hours researching "how to's" with anything related to the Digital Crown not working, being stuck, becoming unstock etc etc. Yes, I have turned my watch off and ran it under warm water for the recommended 10-15 seconds and dried it off accordingly to apple's process. Unpaired, repaired, turned the watch off for several hours, manually reset the watch ---- I'm looking for more information as NOTHING has helped even a little bit.

I love my watch, everything works GREAT except the digital crown, it was an amazing (and very expensive) Christmas gift -- however, I never thought that I would have to get it repaired for the price of previous generation brand new watch ($430.00) or that I would need to purchase a new watch before being used for less than TWO years.

Any help/ successful times would be appreciated- thanks!

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 6:16 PM

It sounds like you followed all the steps in the "Clean and dry the Digital Crown" section of:

How to clean your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Unfortunately, there is no other way to eject water other than turning the digital crown rapidly. I suspect there might indeed be a hardware defect in your watch. Contact Apple Support.

Service & repair.

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2020 6:16 PM in response to taylorgielow

It sounds like you followed all the steps in the "Clean and dry the Digital Crown" section of:

How to clean your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Unfortunately, there is no other way to eject water other than turning the digital crown rapidly. I suspect there might indeed be a hardware defect in your watch. Contact Apple Support.

Service & repair.

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Apple 4 Watch: How do you eject water/ unlock the watch IF the digital crown is not working/ responding as it should?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.