Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help with photo library on external drive that I want to view on iPadPro

I have recently purchased the new iPadPro and want to access my photo library 60K+ photos are saved on an external hard drive but I don't want to save them to icloud. How can I open & view my photo library on my new iPadPro that I previously accessed on iMac and MacBook Pro via the external hard drive?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 8:59 PM

Hi Chubba70,

They should show up in the Files app.

You might need an separate adapter to connect your hard drive to an external drive.

More info about connecting external devices to iPad here - https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/connect-external-devices-or-servers-ipad1c415e32/ipados

Good Luck!

2 replies

Jul 25, 2020 9:34 PM in response to Chubba70

The version of Photos that runs on an iPad cannot understand a library created on the Mac version of Photos, as far as I have heard. The only tool that Apple provides to sync the photos, videos, metadata, and album/album structure is iCloud Photos, which you say you don't want to use.

The iPad could view the photos and videos via the Files app if you stored them on the external drive as separate files in a Finder-level folder structure.

Please help with photo library on external drive that I want to view on iPadPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.