Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iMac, i5 or i7?

Good Day,

I am going to buy a new iMac 21.5 inch 4K, 3.0GHz 6 core 8th Gen i5 , 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB GDDR5, 256 SSD. Is it powerful and fast enough for 4-5 years of usage or should I upgrade it? I don’t use the Mac for video editing, some photo editing with some Mac App Store games plus streaming 4K movies on Apple TV+

Thank You!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 10:59 AM

The performance of the bottom-end iMac with 8 GB and an HDD probably won’t be satisfactory, with either of those processors.

Computers are systems, and putting a fast component into a system with other and slower components won’t be beneficial to aggregate performance of the system.

The system speed is that of the slowest component. Not the fastest.

As stated above, 16 GB and a half-terabyte SSD will usually have a far greater effect on performance than the difference between i5 or an i7.

Not unless everything you’re doing is going to be processor-constrained. Which is rare.

I’m not a huge fan of using Fusion in this SSD era, either. That’s a small SSD trying to make a slow hard disk look less slow.

The bottom-end iMac is good for email, Photos, FaceTime, and light web browsing.

It’s also not particularly upgradable.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 10:59 AM in response to The_KingII

The performance of the bottom-end iMac with 8 GB and an HDD probably won’t be satisfactory, with either of those processors.

Computers are systems, and putting a fast component into a system with other and slower components won’t be beneficial to aggregate performance of the system.

The system speed is that of the slowest component. Not the fastest.

As stated above, 16 GB and a half-terabyte SSD will usually have a far greater effect on performance than the difference between i5 or an i7.

Not unless everything you’re doing is going to be processor-constrained. Which is rare.

I’m not a huge fan of using Fusion in this SSD era, either. That’s a small SSD trying to make a slow hard disk look less slow.

The bottom-end iMac is good for email, Photos, FaceTime, and light web browsing.

It’s also not particularly upgradable.

Which iMac, i5 or i7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.