Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic every few minutes - Early 2014 MacBook Air - Catalina 10.15.6

Hi,

Keep getting a Kernel panic every few days of of a sudden.

Below is the report. Please help!

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 10:37 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2020 7:21 PM in response to Ajaysomi123

Hi,

Quit dropbox completely and still had this problem happen.

Also uninstalled Bitdefenfer just in case that was the problem too.

Keeps restarting....the fans seems to be at full before it happens without even using the computer.

I notice most of the time it restarts it happens while using my Plex server.....would this be causing something??

For the first time after a restart I got the Blinking "? Folder"

Also got this when it restarted

Still happened.

Error report below.

Jul 25, 2020 11:04 AM in response to hostosfq

It looks like Dropbox might be the culprit, as that was the last loaded kext before the panic. (last loaded kext at 82927783166: com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext 1.11.1 (addr 0xffffff7f9d751000, size 49152)). Consider using Safe Mode to isolate the problem. Safe Mode prevents certain programs from automatically running when logging in, so diagnosing and fixing the issue can be possible. Below is an Apple help page for using Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262.

If removing Dropbox does not resolve your issue, try removing Bitdefender, as that appears to be the kext that loaded with Dropbox.

Aug 2, 2020 9:19 AM in response to hostosfq

First of all you may have some adware on your system. You can run MalwareBytes to try and remove it.

Second, you have System Integrity Protection (SIP) turned off. This is extremely dangerous. Last year a Google Chrome update broke people's Macs which had SIP disabled. If this happens to trusted developers, then imagine someone who wanted to cause damage.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

Make sure Drop Box & One Drive are completely up to date. You may even want to test the laptop while booted into Safe Mode which will disable all third party drivers (Launch Daemons/Agents) as well as Login Items. I would also suggest disconnecting all external devices on the off chance one of them is causing the problem.

I've never heard of "Feather" SSDs before and have no idea on their quality or reliability. If you have issues while booted into Safe Mode, then the SSD is most likely causing the problem.

Aug 1, 2020 7:35 PM in response to hostosfq

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

The Kernel Panic is showing a problem with the SSD (nvme). Is the Kernel Panic you posted the most recent one after uninstalling BitDefender because the Kernel Panic report still shows BitDefender is running. If some third party software is not responsible for the panics, then the SSD may be failing.

No matter what you should make sure you have a good backup while you can. FYI, you should always have frequent & regular backups since it is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD. Plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs.

Kernel panic every few minutes - Early 2014 MacBook Air - Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.