Random Restart Macbook Pro 2015 i7 16gb CTO Kernel Panic

i dont know what happen, always randomly restart when heavy use or idle use (sometimes), check using diagnostic "not found error", this my log kernel panic, OSX Catalina 10.15.7

Poncoe's MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 8:56 AM

I agree with @BDAqua's assessment of a Logic Board issue especially due to the MCA error reported in the one Kernel Panic. Plus the extensions listed in those panic logs looked a bit odd like maybe they had an incorrect character which would indicate a memory issue to me (hard to say since Apple does display some of them in an odd manner anyway) and you are not running any third party software known to cause this type of issue.

Make sure all external devices are disconnected just in case one of them is causing a problem, but I do suspect a Logic Board failure.

FYI, diagnostics are only useful when they detect a problem or when the diagnostic freezes during testing. Diagnostics rarely detect hardware issues. You can try running a memory test by using a bootable Memtest86 USB stick which will perform a more thorough memory test than the Apple Diagnostics. You can try running Memtest86 with default settings, but recently I had better luck detecting issues by modifying Memtest86's CPU settings to "Sequential" or "Round Robin". However, with this setting I don't get errors, but instead just has the memory test freeze which also indicates a hardware issue. You can use the downloaded Memtest86 .img file as a source for Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux) which will create a bootable Memtest86 USB stick. Option Boot the USB stick (hold Option key immediately after hearing the startup chime) and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Keep in mind even Memtest86 may not detect or reveal anything either, but thought it may offer confirmation of a hardware issue if it does fail or freeze during the test.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 8:56 AM in response to poncoe

I agree with @BDAqua's assessment of a Logic Board issue especially due to the MCA error reported in the one Kernel Panic. Plus the extensions listed in those panic logs looked a bit odd like maybe they had an incorrect character which would indicate a memory issue to me (hard to say since Apple does display some of them in an odd manner anyway) and you are not running any third party software known to cause this type of issue.

Make sure all external devices are disconnected just in case one of them is causing a problem, but I do suspect a Logic Board failure.

FYI, diagnostics are only useful when they detect a problem or when the diagnostic freezes during testing. Diagnostics rarely detect hardware issues. You can try running a memory test by using a bootable Memtest86 USB stick which will perform a more thorough memory test than the Apple Diagnostics. You can try running Memtest86 with default settings, but recently I had better luck detecting issues by modifying Memtest86's CPU settings to "Sequential" or "Round Robin". However, with this setting I don't get errors, but instead just has the memory test freeze which also indicates a hardware issue. You can use the downloaded Memtest86 .img file as a source for Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux) which will create a bootable Memtest86 USB stick. Option Boot the USB stick (hold Option key immediately after hearing the startup chime) and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Keep in mind even Memtest86 may not detect or reveal anything either, but thought it may offer confirmation of a hardware issue if it does fail or freeze during the test.

Aug 1, 2023 1:41 AM in response to poncoe

I don't see anythingthere to help me.

We need to see what all is running & machine specs, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Aug 6, 2023 2:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for reply, i already check the thread, but i dont understand, are i have issue with my ssd? I already test using apple diagnostic tools & passmark memtest86 with result "no error found" and first aid disk utility not found error.

Every doing high task, randomly restart, sometimes idle cpu randomly restart.

Random Restart Macbook Pro 2015 i7 16gb CTO Kernel Panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.