Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16 cannot handle high tasks

My almost new mac book pro stops charging on high task, "genius" believes that in 5000$ laptop is completely normal. Is it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:47 PM

Probably, yes. The computer can, when stressed, draw more power than the AC adapter can provide, so the battery becomes the source for the additional power needed at that time. Obviously, if the battery is supplying power in addition to that of the adapter, then the adapter cannot, also, charge the battery. This is also true for less expensive models. The price has nothing to do with it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 12:47 PM in response to Breurakzurar

Probably, yes. The computer can, when stressed, draw more power than the AC adapter can provide, so the battery becomes the source for the additional power needed at that time. Obviously, if the battery is supplying power in addition to that of the adapter, then the adapter cannot, also, charge the battery. This is also true for less expensive models. The price has nothing to do with it.

Jul 26, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Breurakzurar

HI at All

Loud fans & less power: MacBooks can be loaded incorrectly

Image source: iFixit

The MacBook Pro can be charged on both sides via the USB-C ports. Reports suggest that the choice of page can affect the performance of Apple notebooks. It is therefore better to plug in the charging cable on the right.

With the MacBook Pro, the choice of port seems to make a difference

Apple's official recommendation is clear: the company writes in a support document that MacBook Pro models can be loaded on both sides. As Techspot now writes in its report, there have been user reports for months that contradict this reference. As a user of the StackExchange platform writes, he investigated the cause of an unusually high CPU load and the resulting heat development by the process "kernel_task" and found unusual results.

Apple itself states that the corresponding process is responsible, among other things, for controlling the fan control in connection with the CPU temperature, and the access options of programs to the performance of the processor are also determined here. The curious finding during a detailed examination: If the charging cable is connected together with other devices on the left, the temperature and system load increase significantly. A closer look at the values ​​of the sensors on the Thunderbolt connections confirms this observation, according to the user concerned.

Just load on the right

The solution to the problem is similarly curious: If only the right side is used for loading and the left side is used exclusively for peripherals, the heat problem does not occur and the kernel process is also ended. As a further investigation by another user shows, the measurable differences of up to 15 degrees are very clear. Currently, two models seem to be affected by the problem: the 15-inch MacBook Pro 2017 and the 16-inch MacBook Pro 2019. Apple has not confirmed the problems so far - but the company is happy to take a lot of time to make such statements. Apple, teardown, MacBook Pro, Ifixit, Apple MacBook ProiFixit

https://winfuture.de/news,115555.html

Aug 22, 2020 9:30 PM in response to Breurakzurar

My one just restarted itself three times, shutting down al my open tasks, and i am not talking about heavy tasks. Had on call and chat with apple support and yesterday took my laptop to Apple store and they told me that they are going to replace the logic board and its gonna take them 4 days. But after spending hours with them they agrees that they are going to give me replacement.

Now the new MacBook is so hot that it’s burning my fingers. Wasted hours on this machine to get it fixed 😓.

MacBook Pro 16 cannot handle high tasks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.