Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery capacity going down fast on 13 inch MacBook Pro

Hello,

So I recently bought the base model 13 inch MacBook Pro 2020 and have some slight worries about the battery life ever since I received it.

When I first used the MacBook it got about 4 hours of battery life going from 76% tot 15%, Didn't think much of it because it was being first used so I thought that that might have something to do with it. after that my battery kept draining quite fast, faster then promised on the site.

I installed a tool called coconut battery and got the following results out of that which worry me quite a bit.

in the matter of just 2 cycles my battery went from 5221 Mah to 5078 mah, to me that is quite a big difference in only 2 cycles. After comparing my battery results online they also looked quite bad to me

I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me what to do, maybe I'm just overthinking and worried about nothing because I just bought this awesome new machine and am scared that there's something wrong haha, would appreciate any form of help, thanks a lot!

Kindest Regards

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 1:10 PM

I personally recommend keeping it plugged in all the time if it's not an issue for you. Of course this doesn't mean going out of your way and plugging it in even when it's inconvenient, but if it's stationary anyway, you might as well keep it plugged in all the time.

Lithium-ion batteries degrade faster when they're about 100% or 0% charged and when they're warm, even if the MacBook is off. Batteries also degrade when using them, deep discharges hurt them especially, e.g. going from 100% to 0% without charging.

Turning Battery health management on can help alleviating the problem of being charged 100% all the time while plugged in. It can automatically apply a capacity limit on your battery internally when it sees that it's plugged in most of the time, and this slows the battery's chemical aging. You'll still see 100% charged displayed in macOS I think.

Some people recommend taking it off the charger every now and then. I'm not an expert, but from what I know, this doesn't really do anything for the battery itself. Maybe it helps to calibrate the software that measures the battery's charge level and health, to display a bit more accurate data.

Apple's batteries are high quality, so they will last a long time, even longer if not used heavily.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 1:10 PM in response to MartijnvdMeulen

I personally recommend keeping it plugged in all the time if it's not an issue for you. Of course this doesn't mean going out of your way and plugging it in even when it's inconvenient, but if it's stationary anyway, you might as well keep it plugged in all the time.

Lithium-ion batteries degrade faster when they're about 100% or 0% charged and when they're warm, even if the MacBook is off. Batteries also degrade when using them, deep discharges hurt them especially, e.g. going from 100% to 0% without charging.

Turning Battery health management on can help alleviating the problem of being charged 100% all the time while plugged in. It can automatically apply a capacity limit on your battery internally when it sees that it's plugged in most of the time, and this slows the battery's chemical aging. You'll still see 100% charged displayed in macOS I think.

Some people recommend taking it off the charger every now and then. I'm not an expert, but from what I know, this doesn't really do anything for the battery itself. Maybe it helps to calibrate the software that measures the battery's charge level and health, to display a bit more accurate data.

Apple's batteries are high quality, so they will last a long time, even longer if not used heavily.

Jul 25, 2020 12:22 PM in response to MartijnvdMeulen

You're not alone with the faster than advertised discharge. On the product page it says "10 hours wireless web" (this is vague, Apple says "The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%.", but we don't know what they mean by browsing, maybe they just scrolled up and down a page). The Verge reviewed this MacBook 13" 2020 and got about 5 hours of battery life in a mixed use scenario, consisting of web browsing, Slack, Spotify, Mail, Lightroom.

The battery health degradation might be because you only have 4 cycles in it, there simply aren't enough data points. If it continues to go down at that rate (percents a week), that's a problem of course, but I'd bet that it won't continue this trend and the rapid decline that you see is more of an initial break-in or calibration phase.

Jul 25, 2020 12:42 PM in response to SilkySteel

Thanks a lot for your answer, that does seem to make a lot of sense, ill keep an eye on it and keep this thread updated.

I was also wondering, should I, when possible keep my MacBook on the charger all the time, even when full so that it uses power straight from the adapter or should I just charge it regularly when needed following the steps to keep the best possible battery life? thought you might have an answer to that, new to the apple ecosystem but really enjoying it so far, do of course have quite a few questions though!

battery capacity going down fast on 13 inch MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.