Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery concerns

I have a 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro (4 Thunderbolt ports) that was just purchased at the end of August 2020. When new, the battery capacity was 5325 mAh and was lasting 9-10 hours. Now, only 6 months later and after only 30 cycles, the mAh capacity is down to 4565 and only lasting 6 hours. Help! This seems extreme for a battery that's only 6 months old. Is anyone else experiencing this loss in capacity?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 9:19 AM

orndorffj wrote:

I have a 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro (4 Thunderbolt ports) that was just purchased at the end of August 2020. When new, the battery capacity was 5325 mAh and was lasting 9-10 hours. Now, only 6 months later and after only 30 cycles, the mAh capacity is down to 4565 and only lasting 6 hours. Help! This seems extreme for a battery that's only 6 months old. Is anyone else experiencing this loss in capacity?

I would not be so concerned—

If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery.

The new Battery Health Management is designed to make the battery last longer over time.

"When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service. Your Mac calculates when to recommend service for your battery based on battery health management being continuously enabled."

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

If you still think you have an issue— call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2021 9:19 AM in response to orndorffj

orndorffj wrote:

I would not be so concerned—

If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery.

The new Battery Health Management is designed to make the battery last longer over time.

"When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service. Your Mac calculates when to recommend service for your battery based on battery health management being continuously enabled."

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

If you still think you have an issue— call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Battery concerns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.