Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 M1 MacBook Air Max Battery

Hi community,

I bought my MacBook Air new in March 2021 and it has been a great computer to me. However, I've notice recently that battery life performance has been less than it used to be. I pulled up the system report and was a bit surprised to see how much the maximum capacity had degraded. Here is what it shows:

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 103

Condition: Normal

Maximum Capacity: 91%

Is this amount of capacity loss considered normal for the amount of charge cycles on the battery? I understand that batteries to be consumable and that capacity loss is normal with age/use, but I've read other places that Apple rates their MacBook batteries to retain 80% of their capacity up to 1000 charge cycles.

Should I initiate replacement of the battery now or just continue to monitor the capacity loss? Any recommendations?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:12 PM

Continue to monitor it. The capacity will sometime show less than 100% It depends on your computer habits and usage.About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support (CA)

4 replies

Mar 17, 2022 6:30 AM in response to FeelMyMagic

Rechargeable batteries can lose some initial charge quickly and the last for a long time at that level before losing capacity, some will hold initial capacity for a long time and then start to lose capacity, some will start slowly losing capacity from day one, and any other possible combinations.  It is just the nature of rechargeable batteries as they are not precise items.

If you reach a point in time where the working time on battery is not long enough to meet your needs, then start to worry or just get the battery replaced.

Example, my M1 MacBook Air dropped to 91% after only 4 months but has been at that level for almost over a year now.

Mar 17, 2022 8:58 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I was not aware of the variability of the capacity loss. My biggest concern was that the sudden drop might be a warning sign of trouble to come. However, based on your reply, it is understandable that a steeper initial drop in capacity occur but the battery still be considered normal. It has not become a problem for me yet, so I will continue to monitor. Thank you again for your reply.

2020 M1 MacBook Air Max Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.