Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 16" MacBook Pro - low battery health out of the box

I have a 2019 16" MBP that I just received today, and it only has 1 battery cycle. However, I have Battery Health on all of my Macs, and despite the device being essentially brand new (manufactured 11/20/2019, CTO on 11/30), the battery is already at 8196 mAh out of a possible 8790 mAh - already a 7% degradation in two weeks. I can't possibly imagine that this is normal operation for the Mac. Even my 2011 17" MacBook Pro is at 91% battery health after 8 years of operation, and more than 200 battery cycles...

Does anyone else have similar issues with their 2019 16" MBP?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2019 11:34 AM

It has something to do with the way Apple is shipping these new batteries in the new machines.

The go to way is let the battery charge past full by several hours—say over night for best results—then in the morning reset the SMC.

SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 5, 2019 12:28 PM in response to HipsterPolice

Be sure you have charged your new MacBook Pro completely. This requires it to be connected to the power adapter for Many Hours beyond the point where it says 100 percent charged. Best results are obtained from leaving it connected overnight while powered off. It will NEVER over-charge.

In the morning, use the procedures in this article to reset the System Management controller. Be sure to use the keys in the EXACT locations specified -- the keys on the other side of the keyboard with the same labels are not "wired in" and will not do the job:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

2019 16" MacBook Pro - low battery health out of the box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.