Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16'' MacBook Pro 2021 - battery health massively decreased?

Hi everybody,

I have a 2021 16'' MacBook Pro, basically since release day, so it's roughly 1.5 years old.

Specs:

CPU: M1 Max 10 Core/32 Core

RAM: 32gb

Storage: 1TB

I recently noticed that - according to the battery status indicator in the settings app - the battery health is down to 87%, even though I only have 136 charging cycles.

The MacBook is connected to my Pro Display XDR and therefore charged for the majority of time, but that's not the first time I use a MacBook like that and I've never managed to get another device that low on battery health. I'm not even sure whether I've ever seen another Apple device with a battery health lower than 95% or so.

Has anybody noticed a similar thing? I tried to measure whether I indeed suffer from a shorter battery life but it is hard to determine as even 87% of the original battery life is still great compared to the competition and I don't have another "healthy" device to compare.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for an answer.

Oliver

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 9:23 AM

HowaldOliver wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have a 2021 16'' MacBook Pro, basically since release day, so it's roughly 1.5 years old.

Specs:

I recently noticed that - according to the battery status indicator in the settings app - the battery health is down to 87%, even though I only have 136 charging cycles.

The MacBook is connected to my Pro Display XDR and therefore charged for the majority of time, but that's not the first time I use a MacBook like that and I've never managed to get another device that low on battery health. I'm not even sure whether I've ever seen another Apple device with a battery health lower than 95% or so.

Has anybody noticed a similar thing? I tried to measure whether I indeed suffer from a shorter battery life but it is hard to determine as even 87% of the original battery life is still great compared to the competition and I don't have another "healthy" device to compare.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for an answer.

Oliver

If it drops to 80% or below take it in for service.

Always have/use the independent magsafe charger plugged in with an external Display.

The rule of thumb— if you are near the mains leave it plugged in.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 9:23 AM in response to HowaldOliver

HowaldOliver wrote:

Hi everybody,

Specs:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for an answer.

Oliver

If it drops to 80% or below take it in for service.

Always have/use the independent magsafe charger plugged in with an external Display.

The rule of thumb— if you are near the mains leave it plugged in.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

Get help with your Mac laptop battery - Apple Support

16'' MacBook Pro 2021 - battery health massively decreased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.