Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer says the Catalina update was successful but I still am not able to get into the office app.

My computer says the Catalina update was successful but I still am not able to get into the MAC Office App. It has the shaded out circle with the line across it. I followed the suggestions to try to update it myself but it says it has been completed. How do I get back into the old office documents?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 7:52 AM

If you have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you can download the apps from the Mac App Store for Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint and sign into them with your Microsoft account.

If not, you will need to purchase the standalone version of Office 2019 from Microsoft.

If you already own it, follow Microsoft's instructions on how to install it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Applecomputerapphelp

If you have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you can download the apps from the Mac App Store for Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint and sign into them with your Microsoft account.

If not, you will need to purchase the standalone version of Office 2019 from Microsoft.

If you already own it, follow Microsoft's instructions on how to install it.

Jul 25, 2020 12:38 PM in response to Applecomputerapphelp

Your Microsoft Office documents are fine.

You're likely using an ancient and unsupported version of Microsoft Office; Office 2011 or earlier.

Older and unsupported versions of Office are 32-bit apps, and weren’t updated to the current 64-bit requirements.

You will need to purchase Microsoft Office 2019 apps, or purchase an Office 365 subscription, or migrate to and use the free LibreOffice app, or use the Apple iWork apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote (free in the App Store) and which can read and write many Office documents.

Microsoft Office 2016 and later will work. Office 2011 and earlier will not work. Office 2019 and Office 365 subscriptions are the current Microsoft offerings.

Jul 30, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Applecomputerapphelp

Applecomputerapphelp wrote:

I have deleted the Microsoft application from my iMac. How to I reinstate the office system on my computer?

You will need to purchase Microsoft Office 2019 apps, or purchase an Office 365 subscription, or migrate to and use the free LibreOffice app, or use the Apple iWork apps Pages, Numbers, and Keynote (free in the App Store) and which can read and write many Office documents.

My computer says the Catalina update was successful but I still am not able to get into the office app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.