Updated to MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7 and now I can't use microsoft word and ppt. Microsoft says the updates are onle

Also all the folders and info on my desktop has disappeared. My ppt's when converted to keynote don't have sound. Microsoft says the updated word and ppt. can only be used on Mac that are 11 or above. I bought my macbook in 2012 and it is still working fine. Can I go back to the previous system so I can use word and ppt. and get my desktop info back?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 7:15 PM

Kayakqueen7 Said:

"Updated to MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7 and now I can't use microsoft word and ppt. Microsoft says the updates are onle: Also all the folders and info on my desktop has disappeared. My ppt's when converted to keynote don't have sound. Microsoft says the updated word and ppt. can only be used on Mac that are 11 or above. I bought my macbook in 2012 and it is still working fine. Can I go back to the previous system so I can use word and ppt. and get my desktop info back?"

-------

Processor being the Culprit:

Catalina is 64-bit only. So, contact Microsoft back, asking if you can install this with the 64-bit installer and a new key. See more about this here: 32-Bit App Compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Later - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 7:15 PM in response to Kayakqueen7

Kayakqueen7 Said:

"Updated to MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7 and now I can't use microsoft word and ppt. Microsoft says the updates are onle: Also all the folders and info on my desktop has disappeared. My ppt's when converted to keynote don't have sound. Microsoft says the updated word and ppt. can only be used on Mac that are 11 or above. I bought my macbook in 2012 and it is still working fine. Can I go back to the previous system so I can use word and ppt. and get my desktop info back?"

-------

Processor being the Culprit:

Catalina is 64-bit only. So, contact Microsoft back, asking if you can install this with the 64-bit installer and a new key. See more about this here: 32-Bit App Compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Later - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2023 8:27 PM in response to Kayakqueen7

Kayakqueen7 wrote:

Microsoft says the updated word and ppt. can only be used on Mac that are 11 or above.

Microsoft's policy these days is to only support the three most recent versions of macOS. Right now, those are Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura. When Sonoma comes out, Big Sur will fall off the list.

I bought my macbook in 2012 and it is still working fine. Can I go back to the previous system so I can use word and ppt. and get my desktop info back?

Yes, you can go back – but you'll have to either do a full restore from a backup, or do a "clean install" (where you erase the volume on which you are going to install the older OS). That's because you can't install an older OS "in place" over top of a newer one.

If you do a clean install, you'll want to back up your current system to a spare drive first (a good idea, anyway) … then start up from a drive other than the one you want to do the installation on. (Say, start up from the backup.) After you do the clean install, you can go about manually reinstalling applications and data (and entering "license keys" and such).

Jul 22, 2023 8:39 PM in response to Kayakqueen7

Found this on Microsoft's site, for what it's worth:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1164707/need-to-download-office-2019-for-macos-catalina

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac

Seems there might still be a download of Office 2019 for Catalina, even if it's not supported. I'm not sure whether you need an Office 2019 key specifically, or if a newer Office key would be accepted. You'd have to ask Microsoft about that.

Updated to MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7 and now I can't use microsoft word and ppt. Microsoft says the updates are onle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.