Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start-up Chime

My Macbook Pro won't start up properly. It used to start up just fine but now the screen won't even turn on. When I connect it to power, or press the on button, it will try to start up and make these three alarming sounds in a row. It will then take a break for a few seconds and the three alarming chimes will begin again, take a break, begin again and so on. I brought it to the genius bar but they didn't seem to know what to do about it. Can anyone help me?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 8:37 PM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202768

^ in this article I read that three successive tones that I am hearing means my laptop doesn't pass a RAM data integrity check. How do I check if it was installed properly without using my laptop? (since it won't turn on)

2 replies

Jul 26, 2020 12:49 PM in response to oqapi

If you have a Retina model or a MBAir, then you cannot check the memory since it is integrated into the Logic Board. You will need to have the Logic Board replaced or purchase another computer.

If you have a non-Retina laptop with removable memory, then you can remove the bottom case of the laptop and try reseating the memory. If reseating the memory doesn't work, then you will need to determine which memory module or slot is bad by testing the laptop with just a single memory module at a time. Many times the memory slot nearest the bottom case goes bad due to broken solder joints after years of pressure from the bottom case. It is just trial & error until you locate the issue.

Start-up Chime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.