Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i upgrade my macbook pro 2020 hardware?

I have a MacBook Pro 2020, can I upgrade it’s ram or hard drive?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 12:33 PM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it's definitely confusing. The way I'm interpreting this is that an upgrade is possible ("can be expanded to 32GB"), but it's not something that can be done by the end user ("MacBook Pro memory is not user accessible"). Do I have this wrong? While I'm nearly certain 16GB will be adequate in the new MacBook Pro I'm about to purchase, I really don't like the idea of being unable to do anything about it should any relevant circumstances change. In the past, I've always been able to buy a memory chip from Crucial & just pop it in there... kinda like how you use to be able to pop off the keyboard to clean out a few specs of dust, whereas now that same spec of dust requires sending my computer to Apple for an expensive and inconvenient repair...which, incidentally is a big part of why I find myself looking to prematurely replace my MacBook Pro.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 12:33 PM in response to FoxFifth

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it's definitely confusing. The way I'm interpreting this is that an upgrade is possible ("can be expanded to 32GB"), but it's not something that can be done by the end user ("MacBook Pro memory is not user accessible"). Do I have this wrong? While I'm nearly certain 16GB will be adequate in the new MacBook Pro I'm about to purchase, I really don't like the idea of being unable to do anything about it should any relevant circumstances change. In the past, I've always been able to buy a memory chip from Crucial & just pop it in there... kinda like how you use to be able to pop off the keyboard to clean out a few specs of dust, whereas now that same spec of dust requires sending my computer to Apple for an expensive and inconvenient repair...which, incidentally is a big part of why I find myself looking to prematurely replace my MacBook Pro.

Aug 9, 2020 12:43 PM in response to adamfromtempe

If you specify your new computer with 32GB of RAM, it will be built with 32 GB of RAM, ALL of which will be soldered to the mainboard for maximum reliability. There are no sockets, and neither end-users nor anyone else (including Apple) can upgrade your MacBook Pro once it has been built.

This has been the case since at least the 2013 model MacBook Pro. There are no sockets and no upgrades once it has been built.

For many years now, the Boot Drive components are also soldered to the board, and are not upgradeable.

Choose wisely, or you will have to sell it and buy a different one that better meets your needs.

Aug 10, 2020 5:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So of course the next question is much harder & mostly guesswork, but how likely do you think it is that I'll reach a place inside 3 years where I'd wish I'd gone for the additional 16GB? I'm not rending giant video files, but I do demand quite a bit more from my computer than the average user... If I could afford one, I'd be ordering a Mac Pro.

Aug 10, 2020 1:27 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Agreed, for the most part... the safe bet is to fork over the $360 now. The one piece I can't anticipate is how long it will take for one of Apple's future system upgrades to be resource-hungry enough to warrant an upgrade. I usually prefer to keep my machines longer, but have to let go of that mindset...I admittedly became a little spoiled by getting so many years out of my old desktop/tower. My current machine is actually perfectly adequate... I'm just anxious to get rid of the old-style keyboard that's already failed twice. When it happens a 3rd time, it will be prohibitively expensive, and its resale value decimated. Thanks for your help.

can i upgrade my macbook pro 2020 hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.