Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I am unable to export movie clips with their original date. The date is changed to the date when it is exported. This does not occur when exporting pics. They retail their original date.

How do I resolve this problem? I have thousands of video clips to be date corrected if there is no solution.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Movie files do not have the EXIF metadata fields in them that photos do. So all Photos has to work with is the file creation date, not the movie or image creation date. What I do is add the date taken to the Title so they are easy to search for.

6 replies

Jul 27, 2020 10:19 AM in response to Mickfornow

You could write the correct date to the title of a video in a fixed format, then use the title as the filename, when you export the video.

After importing the videos to Photos with the date in the title, you could then run an Apple Script to adjust the date and time from the filename. See this script: Script requested for changing dates - Apple Community

Aug 11, 2020 5:36 PM in response to léonie

I am a little late in replying. Thanks for your response. Your suggestion could be laborious when I have a lifetime of clips.

I have an idea that I would like you to consider.

When loading our original holidays the video clips were located in time order.

One possible solution is to make several copies of photos and delete all photos & clips not relevant to the particular holiday. This gives me several photos files of my holidays with the order retained.

Another solution may be to generate a movie in imovie where I believe the order may be retained, for each holiday.

Does this make sense?

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.