Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i-mac black screen since fitting new HD

I get the start up sound but nothing on screen. I have checked and double checked the connecting cables and even replaced the main one.

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 2:26 AM

15 replies

Jul 28, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Chazzie100

If the drive you removed was the original drive, Apple used drives that had sensors integrated into them, they began that practice in 2009. Using replacement drives is okay asssuming you take steps to cool the system and protect it from overheating. Also I would strongly recommend using a wired USB keyboard until you have this straightened out.

Frankly if it were mine I never would have installed a new drive, it's extremely old and ready to be retired.

Jul 28, 2020 2:46 PM in response to Chazzie100

I have a late 2009 27’ iMac which is very similar to yours internally, there is four display cables. The display data (lvds), the backlight power cable, the vsync cable, and temperature sensor cable. You said you replaced the “main” display cable, was this the main ribbon cable that goes from the main logic board to the display? If so then you can rule that out for the cause of the black screen issue. most likely the reason the screen isn’t working is the vsync cable which is the small tiny cable going from the backlight board (far top right board next to power supply) to the display. If this cable is damaged but still connected to its socket, the screen will stay black and not work at all unless the vSync cable is removed or replaced. Inspect that cable and make sure it’s in good condition and all the pins angled right because that cable is extremely easy to damage. If the cable is damaged then remove it and the screen should work and you can pretty much use the computer without the cable because it doesn’t seem to be needed at all

i-mac black screen since fitting new HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.