Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook Software OS X 10.9 (13A603) can i update or upgrade to the newest software update

my macbook Software OS X 10.9 (13A603) can i update or upgrade to the newest software update?

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 8:01 AM

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and depending on which MacBook model you have, download El Capitan or High Sierra.

(182620)

5 replies

Jul 26, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Flipino07

Without knowing the exact year and model MacBook, it is hard to advise anything!

That MacBook will either upgrade to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan as a maximum Mac OS upgrade OR the latest version of macOS High Sierra, 10.13.x.

I do not think 2 GBs of internal RAM will cut it for either.

Newer versions of the Mac OS really need a minimum of 8 GBs, now!

Without knowing the exact year and model of your MacBook, there is no way to know what the maximum internal RAM is for your Mac.

If your MacBook is old, it will either take a maximum of 6 or 8 GBs of internal RAM.

Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitán should be able to get by on, at least, 6 GBs of RAM.

Not certain about High Sierra, but if your MacBook is very old, it may not upgrade to High Sierra, anyways.

Macs are VERY picky about the type/spec of RAM modules they need.

You can purchase Mac RAM online for your year and model MacBook from online Mac resource Other World Computing ( O W C ) (aka macsales.com ) OR Crucial Memory ( crucial.com ).

Install the maximum RAM your MacBook can possibly take.

Best of Luck to You!

Jul 26, 2020 10:52 AM in response to MichelPM

Without knowing the exact year and model MacBook, it is hard to advise anything!
That MacBook will either upgrade to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan as a maximum Mac OS upgrade OR the latest version of macOS High Sierra, 10.13.x.

The combination of the CPU speed being 2 GHz and it running 10.9 identifies it as a model with a maximum OS of El Capitan.

(182627)

my macbook Software OS X 10.9 (13A603) can i update or upgrade to the newest software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.