Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone storage 48 GB Storage unable to move into Cloud 200GB Storage

Hello Users,

I urgently need help .I have iphone 8 which is 64GB Inbuild storage. In this iphone i have 48 GB Photos storage so it always shows storage full message and there was no backup happening. So i thought i can buy 200 GB Storage in 2,99 EURO and then after taking icloud backup my iphone's 48 GB Photos wil automatically appear in Icloud and i can download those photos on laptop and then delete them from iphone to clear storage. Problem is even after taking backup ,icloud not shows my 48 GB photos and still shows 193 B free of 200 GB .

Please help me asap on this topic.

Vijay Agarwal

Munich,Germany.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 1:03 PM

If you want to be able to view the photos at icloud.com you would need to turn on iCloud Photos on the phone. You cannot view the contents of an iCloud Backup.

After turning on iCloud Photos on the phone you will need to allow a significant amount of time for 48GB of photos to sync. You can check on the status by opening the Photos app on the phone and scrolling to the bottom of Photos.

Also note that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Another way that photos may be on iCloud (if you don’t have iCloud Photos turned on) is via a backup of an iOS device. The only thing you can do with a backup is use it to restore a device or set up a new device. The contents of backups are not viewable at iCloud.com and if you delete a photo from a device it will not be included in future backups and will be lost.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Vijayec2008

If you want to be able to view the photos at icloud.com you would need to turn on iCloud Photos on the phone. You cannot view the contents of an iCloud Backup.

After turning on iCloud Photos on the phone you will need to allow a significant amount of time for 48GB of photos to sync. You can check on the status by opening the Photos app on the phone and scrolling to the bottom of Photos.

Also note that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Another way that photos may be on iCloud (if you don’t have iCloud Photos turned on) is via a backup of an iOS device. The only thing you can do with a backup is use it to restore a device or set up a new device. The contents of backups are not viewable at iCloud.com and if you delete a photo from a device it will not be included in future backups and will be lost.

Iphone storage 48 GB Storage unable to move into Cloud 200GB Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.