Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modifying pop-up menus in Numbers

I have a column that uses pop-up menu for data input. As the spreadsheet becomes more complex I often have reasons to change/update the options in the pop-up. But I can find no way to paste the new pop-up as a "style" over existing data. The paste adds the new pop-up items, but also changes the contents of the cell. I'm not Nostradamus--I can't guess all the possible pop-up items I'll ever need before I start entering data.

How do I update pop-up selections without losing my existing data? I don't need data updated to match the new options, I just want the options to change.

And, as a follow-up question for Apple, if this ability isn't built in yet, why?!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:32 PM

Not quite my problem, since all the cells are already popups, but it pointed the way to a solution. If I reformat one cell's pop-up values, then select all the cells that will use those values along with it, I'm given the opportunity to Merge Menu Items. That fixes it. Thanks!

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 26, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Jay Lender

When you want to add a new item, overwrite that popup with your new value. Then select the cells that are already formatted as popup and select the new cells you want to add to the popup and format the whole bunch of them as popup. The old ones will keep their current values and add the new items to their list. The new ones will become popups with all the values in their lists.

Modifying pop-up menus in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.