Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to AirPlay speaker

I have a Bose Home Speaker 300 that works with AirPlay on my iOS devices, but does not work on my macOS Catalina 10.15.6 device (Macbook Pro w/Retina mid-2014).

• Macbook and Bose are on the same network
  • Network is set to "Home" on Macbook Pro
  • Sharing is turned on for Music
  • macOS software is up-to-date
  • Bose software is up-to-date

If I try to choose the Bose as an AirPlay speaker, I get the message:

"The AirPlay device “Bose” cannot be selected for audio output. Please verify your network settings and AirPlay configuration or select another device."

No other audio devices are connected to my Macbook Pro.

If I try to choose the Bose as a Bluetooth speaker, it connects, but the sound constantly cuts out. Other Bluetooth speakers connect and play with no problems from the Macbook Pro.

On ALL of my iOS devices, I have no problems with this speaker, it plays and sounds great.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:02 AM

Solution! This past weekend I decided to reset my Macbook Pro to factory settings. Because of an issue with the initial attempt to reinstall the macOS, I had to first install the original OSx - Mavericks, then upgrade to macOS Catalina. This reset of my Macbook cleared up the issue with being able to connect to my AirPlay speaker using the Thunderbolt LAN adapter.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 6:02 AM in response to rotorblades

Solution! This past weekend I decided to reset my Macbook Pro to factory settings. Because of an issue with the initial attempt to reinstall the macOS, I had to first install the original OSx - Mavericks, then upgrade to macOS Catalina. This reset of my Macbook cleared up the issue with being able to connect to my AirPlay speaker using the Thunderbolt LAN adapter.

Jul 30, 2020 8:17 AM in response to rotorblades

Hello rotorblades,

We see that you're having an issue when trying to AirPlay from your Mac to your speakers. We'd be happy to provide you with some information that can help.

You've done some great troubleshooting steps to help with trying to resolve this issue. Next, take a look at the article below that can provide some additional steps that can help.

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device

If the issue remains, try creating a test user on your Mac and testing to see if the issue remains in another user account.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know how this goes and if you noticed any changes.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Jul 31, 2020 9:29 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Have tried the suggestions in the articles, but the speaker is still not connecting. Airplay works from my Macbook Pro to my Apple TV devices. All of my devices and Macbook are on the same network.

I created a new user account and was unable to use Airplay with the speaker from the new user account.

The speaker DOES work in AirPlay and bluetooth from iOS devices - iPhone 7 and 6s and iPad Pro.

All devices and Macbook Pro (including the speaker I'm having trouble with) are up-to-date on all operating systems and software. The speaker updated to the latest when I first connected to it from my iPhone app.

The speaker DOES show up in Apple Home Kit. It has the correct manufacturer name, serial number and model recorded in the Home app on both my iOS and macOS devices.

Aug 1, 2020 8:37 AM in response to rotorblades

I get the same message from my iMac when trying to play over remote speakers connected via airplay.

So tired of endless Mac/Apple problems.

This morning when trying to connect remote speakers, I even got the classic old school PC error, where the same error message "Can't connect to..." kept showing up in a long cascade of windows with the same message.

Apple never used to have these problems.

I am running Catalina 10.15.5 on a 2 year old iMac, and the firmware for my Airplay devices are all up to date.

Sep 12, 2020 7:11 AM in response to rotorblades

Same problem here with connected airplay speakers (Shairport in this case on a raspberry PI)

Used to work on older macOS versions but stopped working on 10.15.6

Speaker still works with iOS (13.7)

Solution for me was to change the wifi connection from one access point to another (all on the same lan network)

Apple updates always break things.. :-(

Unable to connect to AirPlay speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.